Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Roger Lipscombe <ro...@differentpla.net> on 2004/03/22 20:08:13 UTC

[users@httpd] HTTPS breaks DirectoryIndex in .htaccess?

In my /var/www/flimsy.home.differentpla.net/webmail directory, I've got a
.htaccess file containing the line:

DirectoryIndex index.php

Using Internet Explorer, if I connect to
http://flimsy.home.differentpla.net/webmail/, I see the index.php file
correctly (in that it redirects me to the webmail's login.php file).

If I connect to https://flimsy.home.differentpla.net/webmail/, the
DirectoryIndex line doesn't kick in, and I see the list of files instead.

I've got the following in my httpd.conf file:

<VirtualHost _default_>
    ServerName flimsy.home.differentpla.net
    DocumentRoot /var/www/flimsy.home.differentpla.net

    <Directory /var/www/flimsy.home.differentpla.net/webmail/>
        AllowOverride All
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

...so the AllowOverride line appears to be working when accessed via HTTP,
but not when accessed by HTTPS.

What am I doing wrong?  Note that 'flimsy' is a test box: it's not an
Internet-facing box.

Cheers,
Roger.

RE: [users@httpd] HTTPS breaks DirectoryIndex in .htaccess? (solved)

Posted by Roger Lipscombe <ro...@differentpla.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Roger Lipscombe wrote:
>
>> In my /var/www/flimsy.home.differentpla.net/webmail directory, I've
>> got a .htaccess file containing the line:
>>
>> DirectoryIndex index.php
>
>> ...so the AllowOverride line appears to be working when accessed via
>> HTTP, but not when accessed by HTTPS.
>
> Right, so where is the VirtualHost section that is handling
> the SSL?  You need the AllowOverride there too, or you need
> to move the AllowOverride outside all the VirtualHost
> sections so it will apply to everything.

Doh!  Of course I do.  Thanks.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Roger Lipscombe wrote:

> In my /var/www/flimsy.home.differentpla.net/webmail directory, I've got a
> .htaccess file containing the line:
>
> DirectoryIndex index.php

> ...so the AllowOverride line appears to be working when accessed via HTTP,
> but not when accessed by HTTPS.

Right, so where is the VirtualHost section that is handling the SSL?  You
need the AllowOverride there too, or you need to move the AllowOverride
outside all the VirtualHost sections so it will apply to everything.

Joshua.