Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com> on 2014/04/02 03:38:35 UTC

James V3 build failed

Hi -  Since I am not getting much in the way of responses to some of my
questions about James, I decided I would like to try and build it so
that I can learn what it is doing and perhaps help improve it, or at
least meet my own needs. So with that I embarked on following
instructions that I am finding at the following URL's -

http://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html
https://wiki.apache.org/james/EclipseNotes  (since I use Eclipse for a
lot of my own development work)

and the instructions found in BUILD.txt file that comes with the James
source code in the root directory.

There is a lot of inconsistencies in these instructions, but I have
managed to get Eclipse set up and connected to the Subversion
repository, where-upon I proceeded to check out the server/trunk project -

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk

Then following the path suggested in the wiki on using Eclipse, I
decided to try an verify the checkout by running maven as described in
the BUILD.txt file. Running the version which also runs the unit tests
failed so I decided to try the build without running the unit tests -

mvn clean package -DskipTests=true

That got much further, but it again failed with the following error
message -

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.karaf.tooling:features-maven-plugin:2.3.0:add-features-to-repo (add-features-to-repo)
on project james-karaf-distribution: Error populating repository:
/home/marc/.m2/repository/org/apache/james/karaf/james-karaf-features/3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT/james-karaf-features-3.0.0-beta5-SNAPSHOT-features.xml
(No such file or directory) -> [Help 1]

I am not familiar with using Maven (I am an old make fogy...) so I don't
understand yet what/why this .m2 directory was created, but there is a
lot of stuff going in to it. (This is not where my Eclipse workspace is
located which is where I expected things to be located) Anywise this
looks like a configuration error of some kind? Can some kind guru help
me over this hurdle?

Incidentally maven version info gives -

marc@marcslaptop:~/eclipse/james-workspace/James Server> mvn --version
Apache Maven 3.0.4 (r1232337; 2012-01-17 00:44:56-0800)
Maven home: /usr/share/java/maven
Java home: /usr/lib64/jvm/java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0/jre
OS name: "linux", version: "3.7.10-1.28-desktop", arch: "amd64", family:
"unix"

In return for getting help getting James up and running under Eclipse, I
will be happy to help update the wiki page on Eclipse notes, if I am
given access to the wiki...

     Thanks in advance,  Marc..

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky

Re: James V3 build failed - Found the answer

Posted by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@marcchamberlin.com>.
Nevermind, if I could have gotten Goggle to search right the first time
I would have found the answer.. Apparently others have stumbled on this
issue, a bug report filed, the answer given, but the documentation has
not been updated. Sigh..     Marc...

--
"The Truth is out there" - Spooky