Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Dharamveer Salecha <dh...@wilco-int.com> on 2000/11/25 15:29:21 UTC

text-transform property

Hi
  I am interested in using text-transform property (atleast uppercase) for
converting my input xml data to Uppercase output in PDF.

Sec 7.15.6 in Candidate-Rec of XSL says that this property applies to "all
elements".
I find this property listed under fo:character, fo:page-number etc., but NOT
under fo:block, fo:inline elements.
Does this mean that using it with fo:block is incorrect ?
<fo:block text-transform="uppercase">
	Convert this to uppercase
</fo:block>
Can someone please clarify this ?

Further, the spec mentions:
"There are severe internationalization issues with the use of this property.
It has been retained for CSS compatibility, but its use is not recommended
in XSL."
In the light of the above comment, does FOP "intend" to support this
property at all (in future)?
If yes, how can I help to achieve this ? Isnt it a handicap to not have a
facility for Uppercase conversion ?

Java provides a method toUpperCase() for java.lang.Character. Can we use
this straight ?

Any directions are welcome and I am willing to put effort to get this done.

Thanks
Dharam

it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the materialfrom any computer.

Re: text-transform property

Posted by Christian Geisert <Ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.
Dharamveer Salecha wrote:

> Hi
>   I am interested in using text-transform property (atleast uppercase) for
> converting my input xml data to Uppercase output in PDF.

What about using XSLT for this?
translate(text,'abcd','ABCD') should do it.

> Sec 7.15.6 in Candidate-Rec of XSL says that this property applies to "all
> elements".
> I find this property listed under fo:character, fo:page-number etc., but NOT
> under fo:block, fo:inline elements.
> Does this mean that using it with fo:block is incorrect ?
> <fo:block text-transform="uppercase">
>         Convert this to uppercase
> </fo:block>
> Can someone please clarify this ?

That's funny, yesterday I was also wondering ;-)
It's the same thing with text-shadow...

While thinking how to implement the remaining stuff for text-decoration
I thought it would be a good idea to create a new class with all
text-properties instead of adding a new argument for every possible value.
So I looked at the CR for potential candidates for such a "TextState"-class
and noticed the same as you.

> Further, the spec mentions:
> "There are severe internationalization issues with the use of this property.
> It has been retained for CSS compatibility, but its use is not recommended
> in XSL."
> In the light of the above comment, does FOP "intend" to support this
> property at all (in future)?
> If yes, how can I help to achieve this ? Isnt it a handicap to not have a
> facility for Uppercase conversion ?

As mentioned above, I would do it with XSLT

> Java provides a method toUpperCase() for java.lang.Character. Can we use
> this straight ?

Yes IMHO, there is even String.toUpperCase(Locale)

> Any directions are welcome and I am willing to put effort to get this done.

I hope to get some free time in the next days, I could do it together with
text-decoration.

> Thanks
> Dharam

Christian (back from holiday)