Posted to users@tiles.apache.org by Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com> on 2008/07/11 21:32:53 UTC

Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

We've got problems with Tile-2 and MyFaces 1.2.  Nothing inside the <f:view>
tag is visible.  Searching the Tiles Forum, I see an old reference to use a
file from MyFaces, 'JspTilesTwoViewHandlerImpl.java' class.  Since both
MyFaces and Tiles have had releases since then, I thought it prudent to
check if this earlier advice still holds.  I notice that this class is not
included in the MyFaces 1.2 releases.  Is there a solution to Tiles2/Jsf1.2
problems, or anything later which might help me?

Thanks,
-Ray Clough

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/7/15 Ray Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com>:
> Nothing outside the faces 'view' tag was getting rendered.  Since all
> jsf controls need to be inside the 'view', our pages were blank.  We
> tried the TilesTwoVH, as well as working with our custom Tiles VH, and
> couldn't figure out the issues with either one.

Can you post the code then?

Antonio

RE: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Anton Gavazuk <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

see this discussion from myfaces list, hope it will help

Hi all,

bug has been fixed with latest build of tomahawk for 1.2 branch. For
testing I used nightly builds.

Please, note to use
org.apache.myfaces.tomahawk.application.jsp.JspTilesTwoViewHandlerImpl

― Скрыть цитируемый текст ―

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com>.
Everything is Tiles-2.  Although we're using Struts-2 (and also S-1), The
tiles installation is completely stand-alone.  We've been using a custom
ViewHandler, but that won't work for JSF1.2.  The TilesTwoVH also didn't
work.  Anything inside the 'view' tag isn't rendered.  We did a day trying
to debug it, but got nowhere.  I've decided to try Facelets.  We've gotten
it to work with JSF1.2.  We'll have to upgrade quite a few pages, and the
older parts of the app use S1, and that will be the part that really cheeses
off my boss.
Thanks,
- rc

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2008/7/12 Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com>:

> I tried this yesterday using MyFaces 1.2.3, and it didn't work.  Everything
> inside the 'view' tag is still not rendered.  Our custom ViewHandler (which
> is a complete re-write of the ShaleTiles ViewHandler) also has the same
> problem.  There is a real need for this, as using Facelets (as many have
> suggested) would require re-writing a lot of pages.  Thanks,

Sorry but I don't know JSF, try asking MyFaces mailing list, or try
debug it yourself.

Antonio

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Ray Clough <ra...@allthisisthat.com>.
Antonio,
I tried this yesterday using MyFaces 1.2.3, and it didn't work.  Everything
inside the 'view' tag is still not rendered.  Our custom ViewHandler (which
is a complete re-write of the ShaleTiles ViewHandler) also has the same
problem.  There is a real need for this, as using Facelets (as many have
suggested) would require re-writing a lot of pages.  Thanks,
- Ray C.

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Ray Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com>.
Problem with Facelets is that we've got lots of pages, some with really
old code.  That may be what we have to do, though.  Our ultimate goal is
to use Seam / facelets, but we'd like to go in easy stages if possible.

Thanks,
- rc

My suggestion would be to look at Facelets.  I got Tiles/MyFaces
working a while back, but it wasn't pretty.  You should be able to
find the trials and tribulations in the MyFaces List archives.
  (*Chris*)

signature database 3263 (20080711) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.

RE: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Ray Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com>.
That is definitely possible, as JSF1.2 needs Servlet 2.5.
- rc

Posted by Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net>.
Antonio Petrelli a écrit :
> 2008/7/16 Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net>:
>> Ray Clough a écrit :
>>> We've got problems with Tile-2 and MyFaces 1.2.  Nothing inside the
>>> <f:view>
>>> tag is visible.
>> That's weird. It seems to me that it has to do with the new buffer
>> management ability in Servlet 2.5 (needed to support JSF 1.2), but I can't
>> be sure without looking more into it.
>
> Tiles 2.0.x is compiled against Servlet 2.4, could it be the problem?
>
> Antonio

Well, this is definitely not a compilation problem.

I've been digging around a bit. That's probably not enough, but I'm
short on time. I'd still like to share this:

I may be wrong about Servlet 2.5. This may be a pure JSF 1.2 trick
(although I seem to remember reading that this kind of bug could not be
fixed in JSF 1.1 without changing the servlet API - an hoax?).

Anyway the new buffer management code has been implemented inside the
method ViewHandler.renderView (both in MyFaces and RI), thus I suppose
that using a custom ViewHandler might eventually break it. Perhaps you
have to check it out when upgrading.

Hope this helps
Nick

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Tiles 2 and JSF 1.2

Posted by Nicolas LE BAS <ma...@nlebas.net>.
Ray Clough a écrit :
> We've got problems with Tile-2 and MyFaces 1.2.  Nothing inside the <f:view>
> tag is visible.

That's weird. It seems to me that it has to do with the new buffer
management ability in Servlet 2.5 (needed to support JSF 1.2), but I
can't be sure without looking more into it.

> Searching the Tiles Forum, I see an old reference to use a
> file from MyFaces, 'JspTilesTwoViewHandlerImpl.java' class. Since both
> MyFaces and Tiles have had releases since then, I thought it prudent to
> check if this earlier advice still holds.  I notice that this class is not
> included in the MyFaces 1.2 releases.  Is there a solution to Tiles2/Jsf1.2
> problems, or anything later which might help me?

I usually make it work without any ViewHandler, just the
TilesDispatchServlet and setting javax.faces.DEFAULT_SUFFIX attribute on
FacesServlet to ".tiles". But failing at this usually produces an
exception, not your behaviour.

Do you have some sample code ?