Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org> on 2009/02/27 18:31:09 UTC

[Studio] Next Release Roadmap

Hi guys,

The last release of Studio was end of November 2008 so I want to ask if
we would release a new version around ApacheCon?

The major improvement we have is the multi-language support, thanks to
Felix for the work. I think we have to finish the french translation and
 to review the german translations but it is almost finished.

Then some issues with non-editable attributes are fixed. All attributes
are editable now, even they are not in the schema or operational.

Last not least a very nasty bug is fixed [1] which needs a quick
release, IMHO.

So the question is if we want to get out an 1.4.0 till end of March and
which other features we should include? Otherwise we should release a
1.3.1 with important bug fixes soon.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSTUDIO-463

Re: [Studio] Next Release Roadmap

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Stefan,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM, Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> The last release of Studio was end of November 2008 so I want to ask if
> we would release a new version around ApacheCon?

I think it could be a good. As Emmanuel has a talk on Apache DS and will
probably talk (a little) about Studio, I think it could be interesting to
have updated version ready.

> The major improvement we have is the multi-language support, thanks to
> Felix for the work. I think we have to finish the french translation and
>  to review the german translations but it is almost finished.

I will give some help to Emmanuel who has already started the french
translation.

> Then some issues with non-editable attributes are fixed. All attributes
> are editable now, even they are not in the schema or operational.

Nice. :)

Last not least a very nasty bug is fixed [1] which needs a quick
> release, IMHO.

+1

> So the question is if we want to get out an 1.4.0 till end of March and
> which other features we should include? Otherwise we should release a
> 1.3.1 with important bug fixes soon.

I think this would be great to have a new major release (meaning 1.4.0). The
translations by themselves deserves a new major release.

I would like also to move to the latest Eclipse dependencies as Eclipse
3.4.2 has been released just a few days ago. That's would be a great timing.

We don't have much time if we want to have this release to be out on the
opening day of ApacheCon (march 23rd), but I'm sure we can make it.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [Studio] Next Release Roadmap

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Emmanuel,

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>wrote:

> french translation is 60% done. I have to finish it, and then some review
> will be necessary.

I'll help on that, finishing and polishing the translation.

> There are a couple of important things I would like to see in the next
> version, but I don't know if we will have time to include them by end of
> march
> - Direct Schema injection in ADS. It's a bit painfull to have to export to
> LDIF then inject those ldif into the server when it could be done directly.

That would be very nice. The UI for this is almost ready. I'll need to
review this but I think the only needed thing to get it working is having
the algorithm which pushed the modifications back to the server (ordering
the modifications is a bit complex, but with some work it should be possible
to manage it).

> - General improvements on the schema browser. There are many small itches
> that could be removed if the interface were to be reviewed and be a bit more
> user friendly

It's true. Having used the schema browser as a simple user recently, I also
noticed several weakness that should be fixed. I filled some JIRA for some
of them.

> - and of course, handling of the next ADS configuration file.

Of course, with a better handling for comments in the XML file.

> That would be perfect for a 1.4.0, IMHO.
>
> But if we don't have time, we can differ those to the next version.

You're right that would be perfect, but I don't think we'll have the time to
do all that by ApacheCon.
We have almost 3 weeks left.
Even less if you count the vote waiting period (4 days) and the time to get
the mirrors uptodate (1 day).
If we want to release 1.4.0 for the 23rd of march, we'll need to launch the
vote on the 18th (wednesday).

I'm affraid all these new features will have to wait for 1.5.0 (which does
not mean they'll be out in 6 months, we can release 1.5.0 a few weeks after
1.4.0).

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: [Studio] Next Release Roadmap

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hi Stefan,
> The last release of Studio was end of November 2008 so I want to ask if
> we would release a new version around ApacheCon?
>
> The major improvement we have is the multi-language support, thanks to
> Felix for the work. I think we have to finish the french translation and
>  to review the german translations but it is almost finished.

french translation is 60% done. I have to finish it, and then some
review will be necessary.
> Then some issues with non-editable attributes are fixed. All attributes
> are editable now, even they are not in the schema or operational.
>
> Last not least a very nasty bug is fixed [1] which needs a quick
> release, IMHO.
>
> So the question is if we want to get out an 1.4.0 till end of March and
> which other features we should include? Otherwise we should release a
> 1.3.1 with important bug fixes soon.

There are a couple of important things I would like to see in the next
version, but I don't know if we will have time to include them by end of
march
- Direct Schema injection in ADS. It's a bit painfull to have to export
to LDIF then inject those ldif into the server when it could be done
directly.
- General improvements on the schema browser. There are many small
itches that could be removed if the interface were to be reviewed and be
a bit more user friendly
- and of course, handling of the next ADS configuration file.

That would be perfect for a 1.4.0, IMHO.

But if we don't have time, we can differ those to the next version.

My 2 cts

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com