Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Pooja Verlani <po...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/30 06:22:00 UTC

Problem with WT parameter when upgrading from Solr1.2 to solr1.3

Hi,

I just upgraded my system from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3. I am using the same
plugin for the queryResponseWriter that I used in Solr1.2. Problem here is
that when I am using *wt* parameter as the plugin name with full package
then I don't get the response which I used to get in 1.2 and when I don't
give WT parameter, I get the perfect response from the default
XMLResponseWriter as expected. Also the above problem occurs only when we
use Shards. This occurs only when I am using distributed query on multiple
shards, on individual shards it working fine i.e. when we use /select clause
on individual shards.
(http://localhost:8081/solr/select?q=%22indian%20railways%22&qt=modified&fl=*,score&wt=custom&hl=true).

<http://ec2-75-101-179-1.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8081/solr/select?q=%22indian%20railways%22&qt=blogs&fl=*,score&wt=blogs&hl=true%29.Please>

On individual shards, the custom responsewriters are working absolutely fine
but not with combining shards or using /distrib/....

http://localhost:8081/solr/distrib?q=%22indian%20railways%22&qt=modified&fl=*,score&wt=custom&hl=true<http://ec2-75-101-179-1.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8081/solr/distrib?q=%22indian%20railways%22&qt=blogs&fl=*,score&wt=blogspdrm&hl=true>

<http://ec2-75-101-179-1.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8081/solr/select?q=%22indian%20railways%22&qt=blogs&fl=*,score&wt=blogs&hl=true%29.Please>
<http://ec2-75-101-179-1.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8081/solr/distrib?q=%22indian%20railways%22&qt=blogs&fl=*,score&wt=blogspdrm&hl=true>

Please help.

This is part of solrconfig.xml

   <requestHandler name="/distrib" class="solr.SearchHandler">

     <lst name="defaults">

       <str name="shards">x,y,z</str>

     </lst>

   </requestHandler>

*    <queryResponseWriter name="standard" default="true"
class="FirstResponseWriter"/>*

*    <queryResponseWriter name="custom" class="SecondResponseWriter"/>*

* *

<http://ec2-75-101-179-1.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8081/solr/distrib?q=%22indian%20railways%22&qt=blogs&fl=*,score&wt=blogspdrm&hl=true>
**

Thanks & Regards,

Almas

Re: Problem with WT parameter when upgrading from Solr1.2 to solr1.3

Posted by Pooja Verlani <po...@gmail.com>.
yeah, finally I did it by modifying the required solrDocumentList and using
it instead of DocList object as in Solr 1.2

Thanks
Pooja

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Right, that's probably the crux of it - distributed search required
: some extensions to response writers... things like handling
: SolrDocument and SolrDocumentList.

Grrr... that's right, i forgot that there wasn't any way to make
SolrDocumentList implement DocList ... and i don't think this caveat got
documented anywhere.

I'm going to poke arround and see if i can find some good places to point
this out.

-Hoss

Re: Problem with WT parameter when upgrading from Solr1.2 to solr1.3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: I just upgraded my system from Solr 1.2 to Solr 1.3. I am using the same
: plugin for the queryResponseWriter that I used in Solr1.2. Problem here is
: that when I am using *wt* parameter as the plugin name with full package
: then I don't get the response which I used to get in 1.2 and when I don't
: give WT parameter, I get the perfect response from the default
: XMLResponseWriter as expected. Also the above problem occurs only when we
: use Shards. This occurs only when I am using distributed query on multiple

I'm confused ... there was no distributed search support in Solr 1.2. so
if i'm understanding correctly, this isn't something you had working on
Solr 1.2, correct?   you have a custom response writer you had working in
Solr 1.2, and now you are trying to use that same custom response writer in
Solr 1.3 with distributed requests?

can you explain what example the problem is? ... you said "I don't get the
response which I used to get in 1.2" ... but it's not clear what you do
get ... an error? what kind? what does it say?

the important thing is that your custom request handler be registered on
the "coordinating" solr instance where you are sending the main request --
it will not be forwarded to the remote shards (so it doesn't matter if the
custom request handler words on them at all).

One other thing to note, your config snippets list "custom" and "standard"
as your responseWriter names, but in many of your URLs you seem to
be trying to use wt=blogs and wt=blogspdrm

: