Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Nigel Hardy <nw...@aber.ac.uk> on 2005/10/05 12:03:04 UTC

Static content

I have been using 0.7 for a while but have just come up against the need
to use static material. On paper I like the changes between 0.6 and 0.7
but I find a development problem - perhaps it's me.

I am using the model of placing pages in src/documentation/content/
because I do not want them skinned. I then loose the ability to use
"forrest run" for development (the links are broken - perhaps
understandably). More significantly, if I use "forrest site" I get
"BROKEN:" reports. These reports are not "true" (since the site is then
complete) but they cause the build to fail.

Is my understanding correct. Are there ways round this?

(The other model - putting pages in src/documentation/content/xdocs to
be skinned - works fine but I have legacy material in xml schemas I
don't have, or want to write, input plugins for. Some of it I also
specifically do not want skinned).

Nigel

--
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%lt%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Nigel Hardy     Tel: +44 1970 622 434.   http://users.aber.ac.uk/nwh/

Re: Static content

Posted by Nigel Hardy <nw...@aber.ac.uk>.
David Crossley wrote:

>Nigel Hardy wrote:
>

>>I have been using 0.7 for a while but have just come up against the need
>>to use static material. On paper I like the changes between 0.6 and 0.7
>>but I find a development problem - perhaps it's me.
>>

>Have you followed the instructions?
>http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/upgrading_07.html#raw

Thanks for this. No, I had not followed them because I was trying to
move forward and was attracted by the new model which seems to me to be
a better one. The final result I get from the new model is good. It's
just the development issue of having failures reported when the site is,
in fact, coherent.

Nigel

Re: Static content

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Nigel Hardy wrote:
> I have been using 0.7 for a while but have just come up against the need
> to use static material. On paper I like the changes between 0.6 and 0.7
> but I find a development problem - perhaps it's me.
>
> I am using the model of placing pages in src/documentation/content/
> because I do not want them skinned. I then loose the ability to use
> "forrest run" for development (the links are broken - perhaps
> understandably). More significantly, if I use "forrest site" I get
> "BROKEN:" reports. These reports are not "true" (since the site is then
> complete) but they cause the build to fail.
>
> Is my understanding correct. Are there ways round this?

Have you followed the instructions?
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/upgrading_07.html#raw

There are also more instructions in a 'forrest seed site'
and its example project sitemap.xmap shows how.
i.e. at:
http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ft/build/forrest-seed/samples/linking.html#no-decoration

-David