Posted to users@directory.apache.org by George Stoianov <gs...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/28 22:23:04 UTC

LDAP Filter general question

Hello guys,

I have a general question. I was wondering if it is possble to nest
search filter. What I am trying to do is compare a value being
returned in the result from the server to another one being returned,
is that possible??

If not, do you know of a tool to convert an ldap tree to a db schema?
Thanks

Re: LDAP Filter general question

Posted by George Stoianov <gs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Emmanuel. Yes it does help, now I do not have to waste my time
searching for something like that :). I will have to build it or find
another way. A lot of data maintenance tasks are very much helped by
the relation capabilities of a database unfortunately ldap servers
require processing of records in a one by one fashion. In my case I
have to identify problematic records that should contain similar data
in 2 independent attributes of the same object, to do that I have to
pass the object's identifier retrieve all attribute values and compare
them we are talking 100 000 +. Compared to sql I can write a query
that will go ahead do the comparison and bring back the results that I
am looking for it can even do the updating for me ... for my scenario
much better :), oh well that's life ;)

Thank you again.
George

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi George,

i'm not sure to understand your question about filters. I'm afraid
that you can't filter a request using the result of the first request,
as you can with a SELECT request on a database. Such request as :

SELECT xxx FROM table yyy WHERE column in ( SELECT zzz ....) is not
possible in LDAP.

I have no idea if there is a tool which helps converting a LDAP tree
to a DB schema.

What I would add is that if you try to think 'relational' when using a
LDAP server, which is intrinsicly hierarchical, then you are in a dead
end...

Hope it helps.

On 8/28/07, George Stoianov <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I have a general question. I was wondering if it is possble to nest
> search filter. What I am trying to do is compare a value being
> returned in the result from the server to another one being returned,
> is that possible??
>
> If not, do you know of a tool to convert an ldap tree to a db schema?
> Thanks

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com