Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2018/08/20 07:21:54 UTC

Re: [ALL] Make checkstyle:check part of default mavengoal?

Hello.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 08:45:03 +0200, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one thing I always have to do when preparing a release is to fix all
> the
> checkstyle and findbugs errors. This step could be eliminated if we
> added
> checkstyle:check and findbugs:check to the maven default goal. This
> way it
> would be executed on CI builds and we would see failing
> checkstyle/findbugs
> right away.

+1 for adding them on the Jenkins jobs.
-1 for making them called by default (reports are not necessary for
    each build while developing).

Before committing a contribution, I try to always run
  $ mvn site
and check whether the reports are clean; but sometimes I forget (to
either run or check all relevant reports), so it may be useful to
have a profile that would fail the build if one of the important
checks reports a violation. [Then, running with this profile on should
be required from a contributor, before submitting a PR.]

Best,
Gilles