Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Brown <dw...@webitplanet.com> on 2002/12/08 15:23:56 UTC

Re: javabean problems

Mikael Göransson writes:

> hey,
>
> it seems like i can't run my javabeans.
> i'm using tomcat 4.1.12 binary distrubtion.
>
> i get the error "cannot resolve symbol".
>
> and i have no idea what it could be, it's just
> a simple bean:
>
> public class JellyBean implements java.io.Serializable {
> 	private String color;
>
> 	public JellyBean() {
> 	}
>
> 	public String getColor() {
> 		return color;
> 	}
>
> 	public void setColor(String newColor) {
> 		color = newColor;
> 	}
> }
>

> --
>  _  _  . |   _   _  |   micke@debinary.net
> | )( | | |< (_| (-` |   http://micke.debinary.net

Hello Mikael, what is ur overall environment/system?: running apache?, iis?
r u running any jsp or servlet? do u have a webapp that gets expanded from a
.war. if so, what? i have many "javabean" class files in directories that
branch off at the same point as my servlets under WEB-INF after expansion of
my .war and using the full package "import" i can access all constructors
and methods. someone on this ml can help u but pls reply w/ what u r trying
to do and what errors/exceptions u r logging. thanx, david.

Re: javabean problems

Posted by David Brown <dw...@webitplanet.com>.
Mikael Göransson writes:

> On Sun, 08 Dec 2002 09:49:58 -0500
> "David Brown" <dw...@webitplanet.com> wrote:
>
>> Mikael Göransson writes:

>> > atm i'm running tomcat as standalone on linux/slackware 8.1 and i'm not using
>> > a webapp that expands from a .war file.
>> >
>> > my servlets and jsp code workes fine, it's just when i try to implement my
>> > javabeans in jsp code i get the error (cannot resolve symbol).
>> >
>> > this is the code in the jsp page:
>> > <jsp:useBean id="jb" scope="session" class="JellyBean" />
>> > <jsp:setProperty name="jb" property="color" param="newColor" />
>> > <b>The color has been set to:</b> <jsp:getProperty name="jb" property="color" /><p>
>> >
>> > and the javabean code (again):
>> > public class JellyBean implements java.io.Serializable {
>> > 	private String color;
>> >
>> > 	public JellyBean() {
>> > 	}
>> >
>> > 	public String getColor() {
>> > 		return color;
>> > 	}
>> >
>> > 	public void setColor(String newColor) {
>> > 		color = newColor;
>> > 	}
>> > }
>> >
>> > and the first error:
>> > org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP
>> >
>> > An error occurred at line: 7 in the jsp file: /setbeancolor.jsp
>> >
>> > Generated servlet error:
>> >     [javac] Compiling 1 source file
>> >
>> > /usr/program/tomcat4/work/Standalone/localhost/_/setbeancolor_jsp.java:48: cannot resolve symbol
>> > symbol  : class JellyBean
>> > location: class org.apache.jsp.setbeancolor_jsp
>> >       JellyBean jb = null;
>> >       ^
>> >
>> > i appreciate any help
>> >

>> > --
>> >  _  _  . |   _   _  |   micke@debinary.net
>> >

>> > --
>> >

>> Hello Mikael, if i read u right u mean no WEB-INF? w/o this very special
>> directory some of tc scope has been chopped off. how, do u get the
>> jsp/servlet to work? how do u have docbase defined in ur server.xml? tc
>> needs docbase to know where to look in the directory hierarcy. also, i
>> assume u r not using a web.xml? u have a very unusual environment. can u
>> send any inkling of ur directory hierarchy? say, something like:
>> $CATALINA_HOME/<what?>... thanx, david.
>>
>> --
>>

> i got a WEB-INF and a web.xml, and the javabean class is located in
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
>
> and my working servlets classes are located in
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
>
> and the jsp source files in
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT
>

> --
>  _  _  . |   _   _  |   micke@debinary.net
> | )( | | |< (_| (-` |   http://micke.debinary.net

Hello Mikael, u r using the docBase=ROOT i assume uncommented in server.xml.
though this is ok it is unadvisable. for a much more satisfying development
environment u should seriously consider doing things the way the tc gurus
have generated the .war for the /examples webapp. if u r familiar w/ the ant
build development tool then u r on ur way just study the build.xml file the
/examples webapp and make a modified version 4 ur own webapps. in case u r
not familiar w/ ant the go back to jakarta-tomcat.org and study what they
have to say about building a rock solid development system. by the way this
works me and i have used many "ide's" and contrived development systems that
try to hide the xml config in the servlet server/j2ee development
environment. the java/j2ee world has really been very well thought out and
any project can be developed using just four files: build.xml, .ear, .war,
and .jar. hope this helps, david.

Re: javabean problems

Posted by Mikael G�ransson <mi...@debinary.net>.

Re: javabean problems

Posted by David Brown <dw...@webitplanet.com>.

Re: javabean problems

Posted by David Brown <dw...@webitplanet.com>.
Mikael Göransson writes:

> [...]
>
> and the javabean code (again):
> public class JellyBean implements java.io.Serializable {
> 	private String color;
>
> 	public JellyBean() {
> 	}
>
> 	public String getColor() {
> 		return color;
> 	}
>
> 	public void setColor(String newColor) {
> 		color = newColor;
> 	}
> }
>
> and the first error:
>
> An error occurred at line: 7 in the jsp file: /setbeancolor.jsp
>
> Generated servlet error:
>     [javac] Compiling 1 source file
>
> /usr/program/tomcat4/work/Standalone/localhost/_/setbeancolor_jsp.java:48: cannot resolve symbol
> symbol  : class JellyBean
> location: class org.apache.jsp.setbeancolor_jsp

Hello Mikael, sorry, i hit the reply button b4 thinking. what is in ur
"work" directory as part of my last message question? as a minimum u must
have a JellyBean$<something>.java that tc compiles to a servlet under the
"work" directory. where is this directory in ur overall directory hierarchy
under tc docbase? thanx, david.

Re: javabean problems

Posted by Mikael G�ransson <mi...@debinary.net>.