Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Trask <wb...@comcast.net> on 2002/07/15 03:42:27 UTC

Apache Confs

Anyone know what conf file is used when you do a apachectl start? I
get an error that states it cant open the httpd.conf file due to
basically it being in the wrong path.  I have moved all of my
installation from /usr/local to /webserver and changed everything I
could find in /bin and /conf that erflected that any clue where
apachectl looks to look for httpd conf besides itself.  I have checked
all the conf files and scuh several times now to no avail help me
please.  Thanks. Trask.

Re: Apache Confs

Posted by Gary Turner <kk...@swbell.net>.
On Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:42:27 -0400, Trask wrote:

>Anyone know what conf file is used when you do a apachectl start? I
>get an error that states it cant open the httpd.conf file due to
>basically it being in the wrong path.  I have moved all of my
>installation from /usr/local to /webserver and changed everything I
>could find in /bin and /conf that erflected that any clue where
>apachectl looks to look for httpd conf besides itself.  I have checked
>all the conf files and scuh several times now to no avail help me
>please.  Thanks. Trask.

I am assuming from path names that you're running on a *nix, but I could
be wrong since you posted in HTML using lookOut.  httpd.conf _should_ be
in the /etc hierarchy.  FHS rules would have it /etc/apache/http.conf.
If that doesn't work, run `updatedb` followed by `locate httpd.conf`.

I can't imagine why you would screw up your system putting things where
they don't belong, but good luck.
--
gt
It ain't so much what you don't know that gets you in trouble---

Re: Apache Confs

Posted by Mark Mentovai <ma...@mentovai.com>.
wbill@comcast.net:
> Anyone know what conf file is used when you do a apachectl start?

It's a compile-time option.  Run "httpd -V" and look at the definition of
SERVER_CONFIG_FILE.  If it's not an absolute path, it's relative to HTTPD_ROOT.
Make sure that you are using the same httpd that apachectl uses by checking the
setting of $HTTPD at the top of the apachectl script.

You can instruct httpd to look elsewhere without having to rebuild it or
maintain symbolic links.  Supply an -f or -d argument to change the value of
the configuration file or server root, respectively.  You can add these
arguments to $HTTPD in apachectl if need be.

> I have moved all of my
> installation from /usr/local to /webserver

Then your httpd invocation should most likely be:

.../httpd -d /webserver

Mark