Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/03 01:34:12 UTC

[Engine] State of 1.6

Below is the list of outstanding issues targeted for Velocity 1.6 and
my take on their priority.  As you'll notice, i think there are only a
few more that really ought to have some attention before we do a final
1. 6 release.  I am going to try and roll a test build out tonight
that can hopefully become 1.6-beta1.   After that is out, i hope to
make time to look into the context scoping problems (62/532) soon.
The other three "should" issues below would probably be better
addressed by someone else.  Will, 553 and 525 seem more up your alley;
do you think you'll have any time to deal with them in the near
future?   587 seems like it might require parser attention; anyone
interested in tackling it?

Should probably try to resolve for 1.6 final:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-62  (bug)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-532 (bug, probably same as 62)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-553 (behavior refinement)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-525 (code cleanup)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-587 (bug)

Would be nice to have for 1.6, but not worth holding things up:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-555 (long wanted feature)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-463/464 (new docs)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-513 (doc issue)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-406 (improved syntax)
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-466 (build feature)

Has problems:
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-603 (legal hangup on patch)
 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-437 (initial patch had
problems, no followup patch yet)

Re: [Engine] State of 1.6

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:21 PM, Will Glass-Husain
<wg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice list.
>
> I'll try and take a look at 553, 525, and maybe the parser 587.  (I've had
> luck with tricky parser stuff in the past).

that would be great!

> What's the legal problem with 603?  It's just a text suggestion-- can't we
> just make the change?

oops.  that should have been 229:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-229

> Re: 437.  I'm not sure I get it.  It seems redundant with
> ReferenceInsertionEvent.

yes, there's a lot of overlap.  i like the possibilities of this
approach better, though honestly, i have as little motivation to work
on that as i have had to work on/use event handlers (which isn't
much).  really, without some refinement and championing, this is
unlikely to happen.

Re: [Engine] State of 1.6

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
Nice list.

Re: [Engine] State of 1.6

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
update the state of things.  note that the only open bug (excluding
improvements and new features) against the code itself (excluding docs
and build stuff) is VELOCITY-615, which has not yet been confirmed to
still exist in 1.6.  not too shabby.

[Engine] State of 1.6

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-587 (parser bug?)