Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Tim Dunphy <bl...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/23 18:17:11 UTC

Recommended hardware

Hello,

I am running Cassandra 2.0 on a 2gb memory 10 gb HD in a virtual "cloud" environment. It's supporting a php application running on the same node.

Mostly this instance runs smoothly but runs low on memory. Depending on how much the site is used, the VM will swap out sometimes excessively.

I realize this setup may not be enough to support a cassandra instance.

I was wondering if there were any "recommended hardware specs" someone could point me to for both physical and virtual (cloud) type environments.

Thank you,
Tim
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Recommended hardware

Posted by Jan Algermissen <ja...@nordsc.com>.
Tim,

On 23.09.2013, at 18:17, Tim Dunphy <bl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running Cassandra 2.0 on a 2gb memory 10 gb HD in a virtual "cloud" environment. It's supporting a php application running on the same node.

I have played with C* (1.2 and 2.0) in a low-RAM environment the last month. The major insight I gained is that it is not really possible to get C* to protect itself against incoming writes. Apparently it will just keep sucking in writes until death - if it cannot flush the memtables fast enough.

You could share with us the write/read behavior of your use case (how much, how often) and whether you use SSDs or spinning disks. But aside from the specifics, I'd say that

- You need at least 4GB  RAM
- If you do not have SSDs, you need two disks, one for OS and commitlog, one for the data
- Give C* it's own 3+ nodes if you want to really investigate C* behavior (e.g. nodes talking to each other, replication, CAS)
- Check whether your VMs have the storage directly attached (unlikely) or whether they share with other VMs (which isn't optimal)

HTH,
Jan

Re: Recommended hardware

Posted by Franc Carter <fr...@sirca.org.au>.
Far from expert opinion, however one configuration I have seen talked about
is 3 x m1.xlarge in AWS.

I have tested 4 x m1.xlarge and 4  x m1.large. The m1.xlarge was fine for
out tests (we were hitting it pretty hard), the m1.large
was eratic - from that I took way that you either need to give Cassandra
sufficient resources or know how to tune properly (I don't)

cheers

--

*Franc Carter* | Systems architect | Sirca Ltd
 <ma...@sirca.org.au>

franc.carter@sirca.org.au | www.sirca.org.au

Tel: +61 2 8355 2514

Level 4, 55 Harrington St, The Rocks NSW 2000

PO Box H58, Australia Square, Sydney NSW 1215

Re: Recommended hardware

Posted by Tim Dunphy <bl...@gmail.com>.
Very useful.. thank you!

Hi Tim,