Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jürgen Link <ju...@googlemail.com> on 2011/10/27 13:41:13 UTC

how to properly configure tomcat 7 cluster with BackupManager

Hi all,
I successfully did set up a tomcat cluster (3 nodes) with session
replication, using the standard DeltaManager.

In order to allow for more nodes, I'd like to switch to BackupManager for
primary-secondary replication on a dedicated backup node.
Unfortunately, the official documentation (and various other sources out
there) simply states "For larger clusters, to use a primary-secondary
session replication where the session will only be stored at one backup
server simply setup the BackupManager".
I therefore tried to replace DeltaManager in all node's three context.xml by
BackupManager, but sessions still get replicated on all three nodes.
I also tried to configure only one node with BackupManager, but it didn't
help either.

I'm obviously missing something - can someone give a sketch of how to
configure the cluster correctly?

Cheers
Jürgen

Re: how to properly configure tomcat 7 cluster with BackupManager

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 27/10/2011 14:43, markt@apache.org wrote:
> "Jürgen Link" <ju...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all, I successfully did set up a tomcat cluster (3 nodes) with
>> session replication, using the standard DeltaManager.
>>
>> In order to allow for more nodes, I'd like to switch to
>> BackupManager for primary-secondary replication on a dedicated
>> backup node. Unfortunately, the official documentation (and various
>> other sources out there) simply states "For larger clusters, to use
>> a primary-secondary session replication where the session will only
>> be stored at one backup server simply setup the BackupManager". I
>> therefore tried to replace DeltaManager in all node's three
>> context.xml by BackupManager, but sessions still get replicated on
>> all three nodes. I also tried to configure only one node with
>> BackupManager, but it didn't help either.
>>
>> I'm obviously missing something - can someone give a sketch of how
>> to configure the cluster correctly?
>
> The backup manager doesn't work the way you think it does. Consider a
> four node cluster with nodes A, B, C & D. If node A has 30 primary
> sessions (more on that on a sec) then 10 of them will be backed up on
> node B, 10 on node C and 10 on node D. Sessions may be primary
> (currently being used), backup (full copy of the primary) or proxy
> (no data but knows which nodes are primary and backup). If a node
> isn't the primary or a backup it will be a proxy.

That should say "If a node isn't the primary or a backup node for a
session then it will be a proxy node."

Also, you can use the Manager app to view sessions and it will show you
primary, backup or proxy info.

Posted by ma...@apache.org.