Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by afryer <ap...@hotmail.com> on 2011/12/19 06:47:18 UTC

openejb overwrites tomcat conf/web.xml JspServlet parameter value

I'm using eclipse wtp for development and have a tomee server setup for
testing my code changes.  When I publish changes and start my server, the
JSPs display fine.  The problem is, if I modify a JSP and it gets published,
I can't see the changes unless I completely restart the server.

I discovered the configuration of the org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet
in web.xml for tomee has the *development* parameter value explicitely set
to *false*.  I changed that to *true* in my web.xml thinking I'd solved my
problem.  I published my change and verified the web.xml in the wtp folder
(.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.server.core/tmp1/conf/web.xml).  It
looked right because *development* was now set to *true*.  Then I started
the server from eclipse and a strange thing happened.  The *development*
parameter magically went back to being *false*.

I couldn't work out how this happened.  I downloaded a clean tomcat 7.23
instance, created the server and tested again.  It was fine and the
JspServlet could be run in development mode.  I then just added the openejb
module to this server and then every time i started the server, development
mode got set to false.

My conclusion is that openejb wont let you run the JspServlet in development
mode.  Is this true and if so, why?

Re: openejb overwrites tomcat conf/web.xml JspServlet parameter value

Posted by afryer <ap...@hotmail.com>.
That fixed my issue.  I can now modify jsps and view the modifications
immediately in my browser.

Re: openejb overwrites tomcat conf/web.xml JspServlet parameter value

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
You can find it here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/org/apache/openejb/apache-tomee/1.0.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT/

Posted by afryer <ap...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by afryer <ap...@hotmail.com>.
lol

Re: openejb overwrites tomcat conf/web.xml JspServlet parameter value

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
s/snapshit/snapshot/

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by afryer <ap...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
i'm fixing it on trunk.

we were always replacing this file by our one.

- Romain

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

The reason was simply to be compliant to the specifications (exception
mangement). In dev mode, exceptions are managed differently.

Are the openejb javaagent and openejb tomee listener installed on your
instance?

Can you have a try using directly tomee files instead of files copied from
eclipse "servers" please?

- Romain