Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by tim <Ti...@serviza.com> on 2006/11/26 15:05:31 UTC

[users@httpd] multi-homed Apache? Anyone?

Has anyone setup their home/SBA network with Apache on one computer but
serving content on two networks (DSL and cable)? I tried this but Apache
fails to reply on the secondary network. (It works with only 1 network
card in the box.) I have not done a TCP trace yet but does anyone have
Apache serving content on two NICs? For me it only replies on the
primary it seems. This could also be a problem of needing to manually
setup the routing tables but just want to know if anyone has this
working before I labor down that road.

Here is some more detail:
1. DSL network. 192.168.2.0
2. Cable network: 192.168.0.0
Hosts /etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.13    www.serviza.com
Apache config: /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
Listen 80
#Listen 192.168.2.102:80 # Thought I could toggle the NIC with this but
fails to respond.
ServerName 192.168.0.13:80
#ServerName serviza.com:80  # Argh! Virtual Hosts fails with this -
maybe due to /etc/hosts?
Route route -n:
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.2.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth1
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
# This route does not look right to me. I thought I'd see something like:
 > Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
 > 192.168.2.0     192.168.2.1         255.255.255.0   U     0
0        0 eth0
 > 192.168.0.0     192.168.0.1        255.255.255.0   U     0
0        0 eth1
# Does not that make more sense? I tried setting these in
system-config-network but does not seem to take as the changes do not
show in route -n.

Thanks a bunch,
TimJowers
P.S> Running on CentOS (built from RHEL sources) or FC6. I tried
searching alot but the terms are too generic so no good matches were
found. Mostly the results were about running two instances of Apache.

Re: [users@httpd] multi-homed Apache? Anyone?

Posted by tim <Ti...@serviza.com>.
Thanks for the feedback. Still not what I need. Here's more detail.

1. Can access web pages from both LANs. "Listen 80" works.
2. Can only access web pages from external web on network of 192.168.0.0
NIC.

I believe the failure to be able to access the server from the network
(other than the LAN) connected to the outside world is Linux routes out
on the default interface rather than the one on which the request came.
I started to configure iproute2 but has anyone else used it for this
type of setup?
Especially see:  http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html
RHAT article (but not written to the routing problem mentioned in the
other): http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_45_1266.shtm

Thanks,
TimJowers
http://www.serviza.com/ Serviza Monster Linux Computers

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.
i know that you can check that you have something coming in by typing
your Interweb IP Address and if something comes up (usually a Config
page.) then you have a foot In the door. i Know that Qwest and
SpeakEasy do this.

On 11/26/06, dan page <da...@bradcowisp.com> wrote:
> Morgan Gangwere wrote:
>
> > use IP Masquerading, thats what *:80 does. its just you can have
> > different requests come In to different places. you can also have eth0
> > + eth1 have the same IP. that might help. look in your DSL box's
> > settings
> >
> > On 11/26/06, Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I setup my apache to:
> >> Listen *:80
> >> and it uses all four NICs in my box

> >> but
> >> Apache

> >> but
> >> Use
> >> 0        0
> >> eth0
> >> 0        0
> >> eth1
> >> 0        0
> >> eth1
> >> 0        0
> >> eth1
> >> like:

> >> --
> >> Steve Swift
> >>  http://www.swiftys.org.uk
> >

> I've successfully done this but I feel your problem lies with your
> Isp'S.  First off, most DSL providers allow incoming connections on port
> 80, while most cable providers block port http, smtp and Dsn ports.   So
> before racking your brain verifying that your server can do this, make
> absolutely sure your cable provider allows you to run a server on port
> 80.  Took me several hours to pin the problem to the ISP, hopefully this
> will save you the trouble I had. If you in fact can host a server
> through cable provider, respond back and I'll help you trouble shoot.
>
> Dan

Morgan gangwere

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

Re: [users@httpd] multi-homed Apache? Anyone?

Posted by dan page <da...@bradcowisp.com>.

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.