Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de> on 2000/09/04 11:17:11 UTC

Re: When's the next stable release?

 PD> * Everything gets interpreted at runtime - including property
 PD> expansion.

I'd like to get there in steps and maybe we will even need agree on
"everything" first. What I definitively want to achieve is make ${}
happen at runtime and do some magic to <calltarget>, <antcall> or
whatever to change the value of properties temporarily (avoiding the
creation of a new project).

 PD> * Notion of objects that are not Strings can be used
 PD> as attributes of tasks. (ie you can have Files/FileSets/etc)

I hope I'm getting this completed in the next few days for PATH like
structures, filesets and patternset. I.e. add <path>, <fileset> and
<patternset> elements that can be used outside of tasks.

We will have to agree whether they should be placed inside <target>s
or outside, though. As the id attribute has to be unique within the
XML file anyway, I'd go for outside of <targets> (i.e. global).

 PD> * add more error checking in tasks (some currently fail silently)

Do you have a list of them? Kind of difficult to hunt them down.

Stefan

Re: When's the next stable release?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 JG> Any thought given to abstracting the notion of referrable data
 JG> types from an API perspective?

See Project.addDataTypeDefinition(), getDataTypeDefinitions() and
createDataType() as well as
org/apache/tools/ant/types/defaults.properties. This should be easy to
extend and you can add a <taskdef> like task if you feel so inclined.

 JG> make some abstract base class for types

I haven't felt the need for a common base class yet. All ProjectHelper
needs to make it work on the XML tags is a plain Object and I don't
see common behavior - at least not yet.

 JG> And of course make AntStructure understand them too.

Of course, my version does 8^). I'm going to commit it as soon as we
know where antstructure should place them (as children of project or
as children of target).

Stefan

Re: When's the next stable release?

Posted by Jesse Glick <Je...@netbeans.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>  PD> * Notion of objects that are not Strings can be used
>  PD> as attributes of tasks. (ie you can have Files/FileSets/etc)
>
> I hope I'm getting this completed in the next few days for PATH like
> structures, filesets and patternset. I.e. add <path>, <fileset> and
> <patternset> elements that can be used outside of tasks.
>
> We will have to agree whether they should be placed inside <target>s
> or outside, though. As the id attribute has to be unique within the
> XML file anyway, I'd go for outside of <targets> (i.e. global).

Global scope sounds ideal. Any thought given to abstracting the notion
of referrable data types from an API perspective? I.e. to avoid making
too many changes in the core classes in the future, as well as enabling
richer optional tasks: make some abstract base class for types (FileSet,
Path, etc.), where instances are configured from XML by introspection as
usual (ProjectHelper should add a reference to the project if id="..."
is set); and something like <typedef> analogous to <taskdef> letting you
plug in new types, giving the implementing class name and the XML
element name. And of course make AntStructure understand them too.

-Jesse

--
Jesse Glick   <ma...@netbeans.com>
tel (+4202) 3300-9161 Sun Micro x49161 Praha CR

Re: When's the next stable release?

Posted by do...@mad.scientist.com.
On 4 Sep 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>  PD> * add more error checking in tasks (some currently fail silently)
>
> Do you have a list of them? Kind of difficult to hunt them down.

Sorry - I can't even think of any. The ones that I was
mainly concerned with was ones like the copy that would fail
silently if files didn't exist. The exec style tasks also
used to require you to pass a failonerror="true" attribute
and many other tasks that used exec to do dirty work didn't
set this to true.

Other than that I can not remember soz :<

Cheers,

Pete

| Latrobe University,     | Does the name 'Pavlov' |
| Bundoora, Australia     |    ring a bell ?       |