Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Thomas Klausner <do...@zsi.at> on 2001/10/19 20:00:15 UTC

[OT] Re: Excellent article on Apache/mod_perl at eToys

Hi!

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 09:59:18AM -0400, Drew Taylor wrote:
> What I found most interesting was the detail of the extensive caching which
> was implemented to survive the seasonal rush.
Wasn't this "seasonal rush" at least partly caused by the so-called toywar
(www.toywar.com) between eToys.com (the online retailer) and etoy.com
(the art group)?

As far as I remember this incident, eToys.com sued etoy.com (who were
holding this domain since 1994) because of trademark delusion etc., which
caused one of the first distrubuted DOS attacks against etoys.com.

see:
http://rtmark.com/etoymain.html

--
D_OMM
O_xyderkes

Re: [OT] Re: Excellent article on Apache/mod_perl at eToys

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
> Wasn't this "seasonal rush" at least partly caused by the so-called toywar
> (www.toywar.com) between eToys.com (the online retailer) and etoy.com
> (the art group)?

There were a lot of DoS attacks (and some even uglier, nastier ones) in 1999
as a result of that.  Most of that was dealt with through standard access
control stuff, plus the throttling code that was mentioned in the article.

The 2000 rush, which we built this new system for, was real customer
traffic, although there's always some joker with a bot trying to buy all the
PlayStation 2 units.

- Perrin