Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Stephen J. Barr" <st...@u.washington.edu> on 2008/04/16 04:03:49 UTC

adding nodes to an EC2 cluster

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience adding nodes to a cluster running on
EC2? If so, is there some documentation on how to do this?

Thanks,
-stephen

Re: adding nodes to an EC2 cluster

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
I'm unsure of your particular problem.

but the scripts/patch I referenced previously remove any dependency on
DynDNS.

the recipe would be something like...

make a s3 bucket and update hadoop-ec2-env.sh

make an image:
 > hadoop-ec2 create-image

make a 2 node (3 machine) cluster:
 > hadoop-ec2 launch-cluster test-group 2

upload your jar file
 > hadoop-ec2 push test-group /path/to/your.jar

login:
 > hadoop-ec2 login test-group

run your jar
 > hadoop jar your.jar

kill your cluster when done:
 > hadoop-ec2 terminate-cluster test-group

test-group is the name of the ec2 hadoop cluster group. these scripts
support many concurrent groups.

that all said, these scripts are untested with cygwin on windows..
work great on a mac though.

Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net
http://chris.wensel.net/
http://www.cascading.org/

Re: adding nodes to an EC2 cluster

Posted by Prerna Manaktala <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hey

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
it's pretty simple. just create an s3 bucket, note the bucket name in
the hadoop-ec2.sh file (with the other necessary values). then call

hadoop-ec2 create-image

i'll try and update the wiki soon.

ckw

On Apr 15, 2008, at 7:28 PM, Stephen J. Barr wrote:
> Thank you. I will check that out. I haven't built an AMI before.
> Hopefully it isn't too complicated, as it is easy to use the pre-
> built AMI's.
>
> -stephen
>
> Chris K Wensel wrote:
>> Stephen
>>
>> Check out the patch in Hadoop-2410 to the contrib/ec2 scripts
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-2410
>> (just grab the ec2.tgz attachment)
>>
>> these scripts allow you do dynamically grow your cluster plus some
>> extra goodies. you will need to use them to build your own ami,
>> they are not compatible with the hadoop-images amis.
>>
>> using them should be self explanatory.
>>
>> ckw
>>

>> On Apr 15, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Stephen J. Barr wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any experience adding nodes to a cluster running
>>> on EC2? If so, is there some documentation on how to do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -stephen
>>
>> Chris K Wensel
>> chris@wensel.net
>> http://chris.wensel.net/
>> http://www.cascading.org/

Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net
http://chris.wensel.net/
http://www.cascading.org/

Re: adding nodes to an EC2 cluster

Posted by "Stephen J. Barr" <st...@u.washington.edu>.

Posted by Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>.
Stephen

Check out the patch in Hadoop-2410 to the contrib/ec2 scripts
(just grab the ec2.tgz attachment)

these scripts allow you do dynamically grow your cluster plus some
extra goodies. you will need to use them to build your own ami, they
are not compatible with the hadoop-images amis.

using them should be self explanatory.

ckw

On Apr 15, 2008, at 7:03 PM, Stephen J. Barr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any experience adding nodes to a cluster running on
> EC2? If so, is there some documentation on how to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> -stephen

Chris K Wensel
chris@wensel.net