Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/01 00:47:19 UTC

Re: [site] Copyright dates

On 31/05/06, Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 31 May 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:

> >> s/better/required/g.
> >>
> >> In other words, the copyright years in a file must include only the years
> >> in
> >> which that file was modified.
> >
> > Not sure if it's required for the sites. I suspect the concept of templating
> > is perfectly acceptable and the copyright can be considered to refer to the
> > whole site and not just the page in question.
> >
> > Worth a legal-discuss question.
>
> As he IM'd me, I took the liberty of unleashing this question on Cliff.
> You'll be surprised by the result of the conversation - drop the copyright
> from the footer and just update the copyright on the legal info page.
>
> Sounds good to me. Less to maintain.

+1

Re: [site] Copyright dates

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Martin Cooper wrote:

> I think it would be worth asking whether or not a "copyright" notice without
> specified years is actually meaningful. My expectation is that it would not
> - i.e. that it would not imbue the pages with copyright protection at all.
>
> I guess the first question is: Do we care about our pages being copyrighted?
> I would expect that we do, in which case I believe we should make people
> aware of that. If we take the attitude that the copyright applies to the
> site and not to the individual pages, then I guess we could go back to what
> sebb was talking about in the first place, and use a boilerplate copyright
> on each page.

Mebbe we should bring it up on legal-discuss. The irritating thing with
not being able to do boilerplate is that every site out there does
boilerplate, from Slashdot to Microsoft to the BBC.

That way we can help get an ASF policy rather than just how we do things.
We're the only project I've found so far who have a link from the
copyright to a terms of use/legal info page, and I suspect that every ASF
project uses boilerplate updating at the moment.

Hen

Re: [site] Copyright dates

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 01/06/06, Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
> > I think it would be worth asking whether or not a "copyright" notice
> > without
> > specified years is actually meaningful. My expectation is that it would not
> > - i.e. that it would not imbue the pages with copyright protection at all.
>
> My expectation is that copyright protection applies simply because
> we own the copyright, not because of some notice being in the page.
> The notice is just to make people aware of the fact.

+1

> But copyright is different from the USA here in Germany.

And in the UK probably too, but IANAL...

===

I'm going to revert the stylesheet back to 2005, and update the legal
page to 2006.

This will reduce the number of pages that are updated - until such
time as this discussion is resolved...

s///
(or perhaps I should sign off as s\\\ this time!)

Re: [site] Copyright dates

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> I think it would be worth asking whether or not a "copyright" notice
> without
> specified years is actually meaningful. My expectation is that it would not
> - i.e. that it would not imbue the pages with copyright protection at all.

My expectation is that copyright protection applies simply because
we own the copyright, not because of some notice being in the page.
The notice is just to make people aware of the fact.

But copyright is different from the USA here in Germany.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [site] Copyright dates

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Once it's changed, I'll ping Cliff for confirmation.

Re: [site] Copyright dates

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: [site] Copyright dates

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.