Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by Brian Gruber <bg...@meetup.com> on 2013/12/05 00:56:17 UTC

unable to use ivy for a specific dependency

I have found that I am unable to use Ivy to add the dependency
org.apache.flume/flume-ng-sdk, version 1.4.0. It gets tripped up trying to
pull org.apache.thrift/libthrift with a literal version of
"${thrift.version}". I'm writing to this list first because I have tried to
use it with some other systems that do maven-ish dependency management (mvn
itself and leiningen) and they had no problem with it. Ivy is unable to
process the dependency even on the command line outside of any project.

output of "java -jar ivy-2.3.0.jar -debug -dependency org.apache.flume
flume-ng-sdk 1.4.0": https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7797344

Please let me know if there's any other information I can provide.

Thanks,
/brian

Re: unable to use ivy for a specific dependency

Posted by Marc De Boeck <md...@gmail.com>.
Out of curiosity I ran the same command as you (with my own ivysettings),
and I got the same problem.

I am not an expert of Maven or pom-files, but I think the problem is in the
definition of the parent pom of apache.flume:
http://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=org/apache/flume/flume-parent/1.4.0/flume-parent-1.4.0.pom

The property thrift.version is defined in the hadoop profiles, but not in
the general properties. There is a special profile "compileThriftLegacy"
which is probably used to compile thrift with Maven, but this doesn't work
with ivy.

You could try to use an override statement in your ivy.xml file for thrift.
If that doesn't work, you could set the property thrift.version somewhere
in an ivy-settings or buildfile (which is a bit ugly, I think).

Regards,
Marc