Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Harald Kirsch <ki...@ebi.ac.uk> on 2004/07/02 11:32:52 UTC

multiple documents per file, seek and character encoding

Hello,

when indexing files which contain several thenthousand individual
documents, I want to keep for each document the name of the file where
it comes from and its byte position. In a query, I want to seek to the
byte position to then read the document. I cannot store all the
documents in the index. The whole corpus is about 50GB.

Question: For indexing I read through the file and add a Document to
lucene every time I find it. Is there an easy way to keep track of
byte positions while reading characters from the file? Or do I have to
run the CharsetDecoder myself on top of reading bytes?

  Harald.