Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2011/10/28 23:30:04 UTC

[Math] Naming confusion

Hello.

I think that something is not quite right in those class names:
  UnivariateMatrixFunction
  UnivariateRealFunction
  UnivariateVectorialFunction

To be consistent, we should either
 1. indicate the "grouping" and "number" type everywhere:
       UnivariateRealMatrixFunction
       UnivariateRealFunction
       UnivariateRealVectorialFunction
 2. assume that the "number" type is "Real", and drop it everywhere:
       UnivariateMatrixFunction
       UnivariateFunction
       UnivariateVectorialFunction
 3. assume that the "number" type is "Real", drop it everywhere, and
    indicate the "grouping" explicitly everywhere:
       UnivariateMatrixFunction
       UnivariateScalarFunction
       UnivariateVectorialFunction

The same goes for "Multivariate...", "Differentiable...", and the optimizers
naming.

I'd say that option 2 is the least disruptive, and most practical as
  UnivariateFunction
is more common (and shorter) than
  UnivariateScalarFunction

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Naming confusion

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Am 28.10.2011 23:30, schrieb Gilles Sadowski:
> I think that something is not quite right in those class names:
>  2. assume that the "number" type is "Real", and drop it everywhere:
The "Real" was included (a loooong time ago because implementations for
complex numbers were assumed to appear. Apparently, this didn't happen.

J.Pietschmann

Re: [Math] Naming confusion

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 29/10/2011 12:55, Gilles Sadowski a écrit :
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 09:10:12AM +0200, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
>> Le 28/10/2011 23:30, Gilles Sadowski a écrit :
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I think that something is not quite right in those class names:
>>>   UnivariateMatrixFunction
>>>   UnivariateRealFunction
>>>   UnivariateVectorialFunction
>>>
>>> To be consistent, we should either
>>>  1. indicate the "grouping" and "number" type everywhere:
>>>        UnivariateRealMatrixFunction
>>>        UnivariateRealFunction
>>>        UnivariateRealVectorialFunction
>>>  2. assume that the "number" type is "Real", and drop it everywhere:
>>>        UnivariateMatrixFunction
>>>        UnivariateFunction
>>>        UnivariateVectorialFunction
>>>  3. assume that the "number" type is "Real", drop it everywhere, and
>>>     indicate the "grouping" explicitly everywhere:
>>>        UnivariateMatrixFunction
>>>        UnivariateScalarFunction
>>>        UnivariateVectorialFunction
>>>
>>> The same goes for "Multivariate...", "Differentiable...", and the optimizers
>>> naming.
>>>
>>> I'd say that option 2 is the least disruptive, and most practical as
>>>   UnivariateFunction
>>> is more common (and shorter) than
>>>   UnivariateScalarFunction
>>
>> You're right, lets go to a more consistent scheme. Option 2 is fair.
>
> What do you think of Ted's suggestion:
>   Vectorial -> Vector
> ?

As he is a native English speaker, he is surely right.

Luc

Re: [Math] Naming confusion

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Math] Naming confusion