Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Hemingway <dh...@datafast.net.au> on 2003/01/14 01:05:24 UTC

Listener problem in tomcat 4.1.18

Hi,
This has been posted before, this time i have made it more thorough.

My top of my context inside my server.xml looks like:

<Context path="/lawonline" docBase="lawonline" debug="0"
                 reloadable="false" crossContext="true">

my web.xml looks like:

<listener>
        <listener-class>
                com.lawonline.StartServlet
        </listener-class>
</listener>

The code in the listener:

 public void contextInitialized(ServletContextEvent sce)
 {
  sce.getServletContext().setAttribute("startServlet", this);
  System.out.println("Context Initialized");

  synchronized(this)
  {
   if(!hasBeenInitialized)
   {
    scheduler = Scheduler.getScheduler();
    System.out.println("The listener is: "+this);
    hasBeenInitialized = true;
   }
  }

  System.out.println("Got Scheduler Instance");
 }

When server start the listener starts up as expected. However upon the first request 2 more instances are created straight away. Does anyne know what could cause this and furthermore how to rectify the situation. I only want ONE instance as multiple instances causes major concurrency issues. Thanks in advance

regards,
Dave

Re: Listener problem in tomcat 4.1.18

Posted by David Hemingway <dh...@datafast.net.au>.
I guess that might be possible. I am not using wars or jars for my webapp
itself, the context is in an exploded form in the webapps directory thats
it. How can I stop multiple instances of the web app starting? I need the
context in the server.xml to create my JNDI DataSource. Thanks

regards,
Dave

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Listener problem in tomcat 4.1.18

Posted by Alexander Wallace <aw...@rwsoft-online.com>.
Could you be running multiple instances of your web app? Like it would happen
if you have a context for it declared in server.xml and also have a jar or a