Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Victor B. Gonzalez" <ap...@vbgunz.com> on 2003/06/02 05:48:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Is the conf.default files and error folder safe to delete?

Hello Apache,

  I am trying my best to trim Apache for production. Is it safe to
  delete the conf.default files and error folder? I moved the error
  folder assuming it was Apaches customized web error messages but it
  seems its not.

  Is this cool or are they vital to servers function?

  Thank you :)

--
Best regards,
 Victor B. Gonzalez

apache_2.0.46-win32-x86-no_src
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1

Re: [users@httpd] Is the conf.default files and error folder safe to delete?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, Victor B. Gonzalez wrote:

> Hello Apache,
>
>   I am trying my best to trim Apache for production. Is it safe to
>   delete the conf.default files and error folder? I moved the error
>   folder assuming it was Apaches customized web error messages but it
>   seems its not.

It is recommended that you do not remove the conf.default file. At
least, that's what I recommend. You'll want, some day, to compare your
configuration to the original settings, and that one time you want it,
you'll wish you had not deleted it.

The errors directory is indeed the custom error messages, but this
feature is not enabled by default. You'll find a large section in your
configuration file which is commented out, referring to this directory.

--
Rich Bowen
Apache - mod_perl - Perl - CGI

RE: [users@httpd] Is the conf.default files and error folder safe to delete?

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
It is safe to remove the http.default, it's there just for comparison to the
original.
The errors folder is there for error messages generation at the server side
instead of the client's default pages from the browser, if you don't think
it's necessary, you can remove it.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com