Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org> on 2009/11/16 22:24:58 UTC

[IMPORTANT] Mailing list migration

Hi all.

We aren't yet sure the fate of the current list, but do intend to center the user community around the new list.  If you haven't already, please subscribe by sending mail to users-subscribe@subversion.apache.org, and adjust your rules and filters accordingly.  Please note that the SUBSCRIPTION LIST WILL NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY MIGRATED!!!  If you wish to subscribe to the new list, you will need to do so manually.

I'll send followup mail when we determine additional steps in the migration to the new list.

Thanks!

-Hyrum

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> Hi all.

> We aren't yet sure the fate of the current list, but do intend to center the user community around the new list.  If you haven't already, please subscribe by sending mail to users-subscribe@subversion.apache.org, and adjust your rules and filters accordingly.  Please note that the SUBSCRIPTION LIST WILL NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY MIGRATED!!!  If you wish to subscribe to the new list, you will need to do so manually.
>
> I'll send followup mail when we determine additional steps in the migration to the new list.
>
> Thanks!

Seems slightly ironic that mailing lists managed by the apache
foundation don't have a web interface for subscribing, doesn't it?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Posted by Thomas Harold <th...@nybeta.com>.
On 11/16/2009 6:18 PM, Tyler Roscoe wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 04:24:58PM -0600, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>> users-subscribe@subversion.apache.org, and adjust your rules and
>> filters accordingly.  Please note that the SUBSCRIPTION LIST WILL NOT
>> BE AUTOMATICALLY MIGRATED!!!  If you wish to subscribe to the new
>> list, you will need to do so manually.
>
> This seems pretty gross. Is there no way to migrate the (surely very
> long) list of emails or was this decision made for another reason?

Probably legal reasons? The confirm message includes the following:

Please note that ALL Apache dev- and user- mailing lists are publicly
archived.  Do familiarize yourself with Apache's public archive policy at

     http://www.apache.org/foundation/public-archives.html

prior to subscribing and posting messages to
users@subversion.apache.org. If you're not sure whether or not the
policy applies to this mailing list, assume it does unless the list name
contains the word "private" in it.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@hyrumwright.org>.
On Nov 16, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Tyler Roscoe wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 04:24:58PM -0600, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>> users-subscribe@subversion.apache.org, and adjust your rules and
>> filters accordingly.  Please note that the SUBSCRIPTION LIST WILL NOT
>> BE AUTOMATICALLY MIGRATED!!!  If you wish to subscribe to the new
>> list, you will need to do so manually.
>
> This seems pretty gross. Is there no way to migrate the (surely very
> long) list of emails or was this decision made for another reason?

The decision to migrate or not migrate history is still in discussion, but (as mentioned elsethread) the subscriber lists will not be migrated for legal/privacy/disclosure reasons.

> The simultaneous existence of both lists also seems like trouble for a
> high-traffic list like this one. If the subscriber list could be moved
> over all at once, then you could just turn off the tigris list and turn
> on the apache list with much less trouble for everyone.

Regarding having the two lists in parallel, I personally agree, and encourage everybody to subscribe to the new list as soon as possible.  We will announce when the Tigris list will start bouncing mail, which will probably be in the next couple of weeks[1].  The Tigris archives will still exist for a long time yet.

-Hyrum

[1] Likely, but not guaranteed.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 04:24:58PM -0600, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>> users-subscribe@subversion.apache.org, and adjust your rules and
>> filters accordingly.  Please note that the SUBSCRIPTION LIST WILL NOT
>> BE AUTOMATICALLY MIGRATED!!!  If you wish to subscribe to the new
>> list, you will need to do so manually.
>
> This seems pretty gross. Is there no way to migrate the (surely very
> long) list of emails or was this decision made for another reason?

Of course there is; however, the Apache Incubation process does not
allow it: people did not explicitly consent to their e-mail being used
anywhere but on this tigris.org mailing list address.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Bye,

Erik.

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 04:24:58PM -0600, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
> users-subscribe@subversion.apache.org, and adjust your rules and
> filters accordingly.  Please note that the SUBSCRIPTION LIST WILL NOT
> BE AUTOMATICALLY MIGRATED!!!  If you wish to subscribe to the new
> list, you will need to do so manually.

This seems pretty gross. Is there no way to migrate the (surely very
long) list of emails or was this decision made for another reason?

The simultaneous existence of both lists also seems like trouble for a
high-traffic list like this one. If the subscriber list could be moved
over all at once, then you could just turn off the tigris list and turn
on the apache list with much less trouble for everyone.

$.02,
tyler