Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/06 05:35:52 UTC

T5 and AppEngine 1.7.3 dev server IllegalStateException

I was migrating an older application running on GAE to the latest app
engine SDK and I ran into the following issue : any form submissions
(whenever there would be a redirect-after-post), result in an
IllegalStateException with the stacktrace below. This seems somewhat
related to a previous message that cited the exception (
http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/Tapestry-Problem-on-Google-App-Engine-in-Development-td5716763.html#a5716858);
however, I get this issue in all cases (with or without the contribution to
enable/disable gzip encoding). I havent tried deploying this application to
production yet to see how it behaves outside of the dev environment.

Just switching the GAE version to 1.7.2 makes the application behave
properly in the dev environment.

So, this is obviously an issue w/ the GAE tooling and I want to file an
issue w/ the GAE project  - from the stacktrace,  any thoughts of why this
might be happening (or why Tapestry doesn't like this behavior) ?

Cheers - Alex K

P.S. The stacktrace is below:

   - java.lang.IllegalStateException
   Sanity check - neither a stream response nor a redirect response was
   generated for this action request.
   Filter stack framesStack trace
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.ImmediateActionRenderResponseFilter.handle(ImmediateActionRenderResponseFilter.java:63)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.AjaxFilter.handle(AjaxFilter.java:42)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.services.TapestryModule$41.handle(TapestryModule.java:2476)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.ComponentRequestHandlerTerminator.handleComponentEvent(ComponentRequestHandlerTerminator.java:43)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.services.InitializeActivePageName.handleComponentEvent(InitializeActivePageName.java:39)
      -
      org.tynamo.security.SecurityComponentRequestFilter.handleComponentEvent(SecurityComponentRequestFilter.java:41)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.ComponentEventDispatcher.dispatch(ComponentEventDispatcher.java:46)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.services.TapestryModule$RequestHandlerTerminator.service(TapestryModule.java:302)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.RequestErrorFilter.service(RequestErrorFilter.java:26)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.services.TapestryModule$3.service(TapestryModule.java:902)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.services.TapestryModule$2.service(TapestryModule.java:892)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.StaticFilesFilter.service(StaticFilesFilter.java:90)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.CheckForUpdatesFilter$2.invoke(CheckForUpdatesFilter.java:105)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.CheckForUpdatesFilter$2.invoke(CheckForUpdatesFilter.java:95)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.internal.util.ConcurrentBarrier.withRead(ConcurrentBarrier.java:85)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.CheckForUpdatesFilter.service(CheckForUpdatesFilter.java:119)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.services.TapestryModule$HttpServletRequestHandlerTerminator.service(TapestryModule.java:253)
      -
      org.tynamo.security.services.impl.SecurityConfiguration$1.call(SecurityConfiguration.java:55)
      -
      org.tynamo.security.services.impl.SecurityConfiguration$1.call(SecurityConfiguration.java:53)
      -
      org.apache.shiro.subject.support.SubjectCallable.doCall(SubjectCallable.java:90)
      -
      org.apache.shiro.subject.support.SubjectCallable.call(SubjectCallable.java:83)
      -
      org.apache.shiro.subject.support.DelegatingSubject.execute(DelegatingSubject.java:380)
      -
      org.tynamo.security.services.impl.SecurityConfiguration.service(SecurityConfiguration.java:53)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.gzip.GZipFilter.service(GZipFilter.java:53)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.IgnoredPathsFilter.service(IgnoredPathsFilter.java:62)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.services.TapestryModule$1.service(TapestryModule.java:852)
      -
      org.apache.tapestry5.TapestryFilter.doFilter(TapestryFilter.java:171)
      -

Re: T5 and AppEngine 1.7.3 dev server IllegalStateException

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Alright - I'm not entirely sure if anyone will find any use for this, but I
implemented the approach suggested by Lance (thank you Lance!) and pushed
the code into BitBucket : https://bitbucket.org/akochnev/tap5-gae-utils

The project wiki explains how to use it, but in short, just include the
module either as a @SubModule or as a module in your Development
configuration.

Now my application runs just fine using the official GAE Maven plugin w/
version 1.8.0. Sweet !

Cheers -

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Just out of curiosity - this exception is thrown by Tapestry itself;
however, since it's just a "sanity check" and it only happens on the Dev
server , is there a way to disable this filter using Tapestry IoC ?

org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.ImmediateActionRenderResponseF
ilter.handle(ImmediateActionRenderResponseFilter.java:63)

I can certainly keep plugging along w/ GAE 1.7.1 ( I don't have a reason to
upgrade); however, it would be nice if things could just work w/ just a
little tweaks.

Cheers -

Posted by "arnold.minde@gmail.com" <ar...@gmail.com>.
This is caused by this issue:

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Correction, this issue seems to have shown up w/ GAE 1.7.2 instead of 1.7.3
. Reverting the appengine sdk to version 1.7.1.1 resolves the issue whereas
staying w/ 1.7.2 does not.

Cheers - Alex K