Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by leemansvg <mi...@usd465.com> on 2006/12/04 23:01:45 UTC

Scan Messages according to arrival

Hello,

I don't know if anyone has come across this, but my
Mailscanner/spamasssasin/sendmail bunch seems to scan messages  randomly. I
noticed this because it once got behind on scanning mail and it started to
scan the ones that came in immediately first. Is there a setting that I
tweak for it to adopt the policy "first in, first out" ?

Mike.

Re: Scan Messages according to arrival

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi,

leemansvg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if anyone has come across this, but my
> Mailscanner/spamasssasin/sendmail bunch seems to scan messages  randomly. I
> noticed this because it once got behind on scanning mail and it started to
> scan the ones that came in immediately first. Is there a setting that I
> tweak for it to adopt the policy "first in, first out" ?

You might be better off asking this on the MailScanner users mailing
list.  http://www.mailscanner.info/support.html#mailing

How large was the queue when it started to process 'randomly'?

Mailscanner normally processes the incoming queue in batches in FIFO
order.  But it has a setting that if the queue size exceeds the
configured value it reverts to a more oppurtunistic processing mode.

 From the docs:

"Max Normal Queue Size

  If more messages are found in the queue than this, then switch to an
  "accelerated" mode of processing messages. This will cause it to stop
  scanning messages in strict date order, but in the order it finds them
  in the queue. If your queue is bigger than this size a lot of the time,
  then some messages could be greatly delayed. So treat this option as
  "in emergency only"."

This defaults to 800.

As the docs say, if this happens regularly you can raise this value to
keep the FIFO behaviour.  But if your incoming queue is regularly
backing up that much you probably should look at why.

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples