Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by hui <hu...@triplehop.com> on 2004/03/30 01:29:04 UTC

BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses

Hi,
I have a range query for the date like [20011201 To 20040201], it works fine
for Lucene API 1.3 RC1. When I upgrade to 1.3 final, I got
"BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses" exception sometimes no matter the index is
created by 1.3RC1 or 1.3 final. Check on the email archive, it seems related
with maxClauseCount. Is increasing maxClauseCount the only way to avoid this
issue in 1.3 final? The dev mail list has some discussion on the future plan
on this.

Regards,
Hui

Re: BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@newsmonster.org>.
hui wrote:

>Hi,
>I have a range query for the date like [20011201 To 20040201], it works fine
>for Lucene API 1.3 RC1. When I upgrade to 1.3 final, I got
>"BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses" exception sometimes no matter the index is
>created by 1.3RC1 or 1.3 final. Check on the email archive, it seems related
>with maxClauseCount. Is increasing maxClauseCount the only way to avoid this
>issue in 1.3 final? The dev mail list has some discussion on the future plan
>on this.

I've noticed the same problem.. The strange thing is that it only
happens on some queries.  For example the query "blog" results in this
exception but the query for "linux" in my index works just fine.

This is the stacktrace if anyone's interested:

org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$TooManyClauses
        at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.add(BooleanQuery.java:109)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.add(BooleanQuery.java:101)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.MultiTermQuery.rewrite(MultiTermQuery.java:99)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.rewrite(BooleanQuery.java:240)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery.rewrite(BooleanQuery.java:240)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.rewrite(IndexSearcher.java:188)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Query.weight(Query.java:120)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:128)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.MultiSearcher.search(MultiSearcher.java:150)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.java:93)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Hits.java:80)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:71)

For the record I'm also using a DateRange but I disabled it still noticed the same behavior.

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.

    http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc