Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Santosh Sam Koshy <sa...@cdac.in> on 2008/01/23 10:40:40 UTC

PROPFIND Error

Dear Sir,

I am in the  process of setting up Subversion as my Configuration
Management SYstem. As per the documentation available, I have been trying
to setup an http access for the repository but an failing on the same

My httpd.conf has the entries

<Location /Subversion>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /usr/UbicompRepo

        AuthzSVNAccessFile /usr/Subversion/acp

        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Subversion Config Mgt System"
        AuthUserFile /etc/Subversion/users

        Require valid-user
</Location>

whenever I try

svn list http://localhost/Subversion or
svn co http://localhost/Subversion/UbicompRepo
it responds in the following way

[root@server WC]# svn co http://localhost/Subversion/UbicompRepo
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:80> Subversion Config Mgt System
Password for 'root':
Authentication realm: <http://localhost:80> Subversion Config Mgt System
Username: admin
Password for 'admin':
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/Subversion/UbicompRepo'
svn: PROPFIND of '/Subversion/UbicompRepo': 403 Forbidden
(http://localhost)
[root@server WC]#

I am unable to sort out this issue.....Kindly suggest something

Regds
Santosh

--
Santosh Sam Koshy
Member Technical Staff

Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to
decide........

Re: PROPFIND Error

Posted by Karen Tracey <km...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 23, 2008 5:40 AM, Santosh Sam Koshy <sa...@cdac.in> wrote:

> Dear Sir,

 I'm not a Sir, but read your message anyway.

I am in the  process of setting up Subversion as my Configuration
> Management SYstem. As per the documentation available, I have been trying
> to setup an http access for the repository but an failing on the same
>
> My httpd.conf has the entries
>
> <Location /Subversion>
>        DAV svn
>        SVNPath /usr/UbicompRepo
>
>        AuthzSVNAccessFile /usr/Subversion/acp
>
>        AuthType Basic
>        AuthName "Subversion Config Mgt System"
>        AuthUserFile /etc/Subversion/users
>
>        Require valid-user
> </Location>
>

> whenever I try
>
> svn list http://localhost/Subversion or
> svn co http://localhost/Subversion/UbicompRepo
> it responds in the following way
>
> [root@server WC]# svn co http://localhost/Subversion/UbicompRepo
> Authentication realm: <http://localhost:80> Subversion Config Mgt System
> Password for 'root':
> Authentication realm: <http://localhost:80> Subversion Config Mgt System
> Username: admin
> Password for 'admin':
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/Subversion/UbicompRepo'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/Subversion/UbicompRepo': 403 Forbidden
> (http://localhost)
> [root@server WC]#
>
> I am unable to sort out this issue.....Kindly suggest something

What's in your AuthzSVNAccessFile /usr/Subversion/acp?  From the response
you are getting, it seems your authz file is not permitting user admin to
access '/Subversion/UbicompRepo'.

Karen

Re: PROPFIND Error

Posted by Karen Tracey <km...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 23, 2008 12:28 PM, Santosh Sam Koshy <sa...@cdac.in> wrote:

> THanks for your response
>

> This is what I put into the file....../AFWA, /u-Agri are modules in the
> Repository.
>
> [UbicompRepo:/AFWA]
> admin = rw
> afwa = rw
> u-agri = r
> u-viswas = r
> u-sikshak = r
> spark = r
> in2ds = r
> common = r
>

> [UbicompRepo:/u-Agri]
> admin = rw
> afwa = r
> u-agri = rw
> u-viswas = r
> u-sikshak = r
> spark = r
> in2ds = r
> common = r

You've given no users any access to the root.   You must grant access to the
root if you want to be able to check out the root of the repository.

I have commented out the file in later trials, but it is not giving me a
> solution. I am still stuck with similar errors of PROPFIND.

You mean you commented out the AuthzSVNAccessFile line in the apache config
and still had problems?  Did you reload the apache config after changing it?

> Changes the Repo to TestRepo with the owner and group as apache
>
> YEt this error is persistant
>
> Username: admin
> Password for 'admin':
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/Subversion/TestRepo'
> svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem

That's a different error; it looks like your TestRepo setup wasn't quite
right.  I wouldn't worry about it and instead focus on getting access to the
real repository working.  There is no indication in the errors you have
posted that the problem has anything to do apache's access to the repository
-- it looks like a problem purely with the AuthzSVNAccessFile contents.

> THe logs (error_log) are showing wierd errors
>
> [Wed Jan 23 22:09:43 2008] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist:
> /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/favicon.ico

This is harmless. Browsers ask for that file to put up a little icon on a
favorites list or browser tab.  If you don't have one you get that error in
the log but it doesn't hurt anything.

Any clue????

I think if you fix your AuthzSVNAccessFile to allow access to the root
things will be fine.

Karen