Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch> on 2020/08/02 23:48:26 UTC

Re: Release Manager for Fineract 1.4 release

Hello,

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020, 01:58 Ed Cable, <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Aleks has graciously volunteered to take on the role of release manager
> for the Fineract 1.4 release. I'm really happy he's stepping forward to
> take this duty on as he's active within our implementer community having
> done development work for Fiter. His example will hopefully motivate other
> ecosystem players to help take on some of these core duties.

Great to hear.

He's famliarizing himself with the steps of the process you so thoroughly
> documented at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FINERACT/How+to+Release+Apache+Fineract and
> making sure he has the tools and permissions). The one step (since he's
> only a committer and not part of PMC) he will need assistance with is
> uploading the release ZIP

I'm happy to try to help with that, once we get to that step. (Without
being to commit to being able to immediately reply.)

Given that we've been waiting so long to do the 1.4 release, I wasn't sure
> where we were in the process (i.e. did Aleks still have to formally
> announce the release branch and start the 2 week time clock for the branch
> point).

Yes. Fineract hasn't had a 1.4.0 release yet, because there never was the
required heads up public list emails, discussions, waiting period, and PMC
vote.

BTW the existing old 1.4 tag in Git must be deleted.

Back in May, we had published 1.4 release notes at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12344606&styleName=Html&projectId=12319420&Create=Create&atl_token=A5KQ-2QAV-T4JA-FDED_5c1a48ffe387dac1f01cd0650aea24d683fe3588_lin

We'll need to do some JIRA clean up, as this list includes a number of
issues tagged with Fix Version 1.4.0 which are still open. Some of them may
still make it, others will need to have their Fix Version changed.

which has continued to grow with all the pull requests that have since
> merged.
>
> I'll let you clarify on that point in this email and then I'll have Aleks
> carry forward with the release process.

Looking forward.

Cheers,

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.
@Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>
thanks for filling in the answers for me... was again a bit tied up in my
day job.

@Michael Vorburger <mi...@gmail.com> I will check the wiki page
you mentioned... thanks for the hint. I'll prepare the announcement for 1.4
tomorrow and send it out. I can then catch up with any missing pieces
during the 2 week freeze period.

Posted by Ebenezer Graham <eb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the tip Alek,

I have been able to sort this out. My GitHub id wasn't getting saved for
some reason.

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 23:31, Aleksandar Vidakovic <

--

​

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.
Hi Ebenezer,

Posted by Ebenezer Graham <eb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
Michael,

See some replies inline.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 12:30 PM Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Aug 2020, 17:14 Ed Cable, <ed...@mifos.org> wrote:
>
>> Aleks' wiki permissions are working fine now. Just needed to refresh.
>>
>> Aleks, I think given Michael already created the release umbrella ticket
>> for 1.4 at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-873, you
>> should be able to go forward with sending out the email as templated in the
>> overview. The only one outstanding question is whether or not more than 2
>> weeks are needed for the date for the git branch to created.
>>

> Yes, I'd argue that they are still needed, because Fineract hasn't had a
> 1.4.0 release yet, because there never was the required heads up public
> list emails, discussions, waiting period, and PMC vote.

We'll just go with a 2 week period then.

> In the meantime, we can assure you have necessary git privileges and we'll
>> have to delete previous tagged branch.
>>

> Aleks, forgive me if I forgot, but are you actually a committer on Apache
> Fineract? Creating branches and tags on Git obviously requires committer
> privilege.

Aleks is committer but not a member of PMC so that's why he needs some help
getting the proper access through git/github but will need a PMC member to
upload artifacts.

Posted by Michael Vorburger <mi...@vorburger.ch>.

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.

Posted by Aleksandar Vidakovic <ch...@monkeysintown.com>.