Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Charles Smith <Sm...@macewan.ca> on 2019/11/15 16:10:51 UTC

Proposal to modify Servlet spec support for the HTTP Session Management Module for AppServers

Hello,

The Geode HTTP Session Management Module for AppServers currently states:
This approach is a generic solution, which is supported by any container that implements the Servlet 2.4 specification.
I would like to suggest that this official support be bumped up to the Servlet 3.0 specification.

There are some important cookie security features missing in the ancient Servlet 2.4 spec, namely the secure and httpOnly flags. Bumping support to Servlet 3.0 would allow the Geode AppServer session module to inherently support these session cookie security features.

I have logged the following Jira issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-7438

and submitted a pull request that provides the necessary support if the Geode community agrees this is a good idea.

And thank you for the excellent Apache Geode project!

--

Charles Smith

Developer/Analyst

Web Architecture and Development
MacEwan University
smithc14@macewan.ca

Re: Proposal to modify Servlet spec support for the HTTP Session Management Module for AppServers

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.
For the purpose of moving this forward, I have merged PR #4311 [1]. From a
runtime POV this now requires a minimum 3.0 servlet compatible container.
Documented minimum, however, is at least 3.1.

I suggest that if anyone would like to see documented newer support that
that should be proposed separately.

Thanks
--Jens

[1] - https://github.com/apache/geode/pull/4311

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.com>.

Posted by Jens Deppe <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joris Melchior <jm...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for bumping to 3.1

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for 3.1

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.
1 more thing...

You can provide additional/dedicated support for newer versions (e.g.
Servlet 4.0) without (unduly) sacrificing backwards compatibility.  This is
done by many popular Java frameworks in fact, which also simultaneously
constitute a minimum baseline (e.g. Servlet 3.1).  Be current and
compatible where it makes sense.  Servlet 3.1 is a very powerful and
logical choice at this particular point in time.

FYR...

Apache Tomcat:
https://docs.spring.io/spring-boot-data-geode-build/1.2.x/reference/html5/
Eclipse Jetty:
https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/what-jetty-version.html
Undertow:
http://undertow.io/undertow-docs/undertow-docs-1.3.0/index.html#getting-undertow
... http://undertow.io/

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: Proposal to modify Servlet spec support for the HTTP Session Management Module for AppServers

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: Proposal to modify Servlet spec support for the HTTP Session Management Module for AppServers

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
+1 to bumping to servlet 3.0.

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: Proposal to modify Servlet spec support for the HTTP Session Management Module for AppServers

Posted by John Blum <jb...@pivotal.io>.

--
-John
john.blum10101 (skype)

Re: Proposal to modify Servlet spec support for the HTTP Session Management Module for AppServers

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.