Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Andrew Bayer <an...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/04 12:26:00 UTC

Next steps for Groovy and Java 9?

Hey all -

So over in the Jenkins project, we're more than a little bit freaked out
about Groovy + Java 9, since Groovy is absolutely critical to Jenkins. I
think I can carve out time to work on the problems with Groovy + Java 9,
but to a certain extent, I'd be jumping into the jungle without a map. =)
Do we have any kind of roadmap for what needs to be done, or any specific
concrete tasks that need to be tackled?

A.

Re: Next steps for Groovy and Java 9?

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Am 04.10.2017 um 14:26 schrieb Andrew Bayer:
> Hey all -
>
> So over in the Jenkins project, we're more than a little bit freaked out
> about Groovy + Java 9, since Groovy is absolutely critical to Jenkins. I
> think I can carve out time to work on the problems with Groovy + Java 9,
> but to a certain extent, I'd be jumping into the jungle without a map.
> =) Do we have any kind of roadmap for what needs to be done, or any
> specific concrete tasks that need to be tackled?

Let me try to give a rough impression on the things that work and that
do not:

usage of JDK9 like JDK8 with classpath: works if no hidden APIs are used

JDK9 features that will not work properly:
* Groovy is no module, so there can be no named module, that depends on
Groovy
* It is unclear if Groovy can work as automatic module
* Making Groovy a named module will require working with layers most
likely, this is not fully investigated
* Joint compilation with modules will be troublesome because of the
problems above
* the nasty reflection warnings are not really preventing Groovy from
working, but fixing this will mean to change the meta class
initialization logic from an half eager mode to an fully lazy approach,
which is an extremely big task, of which I am not fully sure we can
actually do it.
* doing the actual method call with reflection is now more restricted
(or I should say it will require more command line based opening of
modules) then for example a MethodHandles based implementation. That is
because they (Java Platform team) can just not keep their fingers away
from basing calls on the caller (and make the wrong assumption about who
the caller is in our case)

But I really wonder what of these things is currently preventing Jenkins
from using Groovy on JDK9?

bye Jochen

Re: Next steps for Groovy and Java 9?

Posted by Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>.
With respect to reporting errors that Cédric mentioned, we know about the
generic initial warning on startup. So, any other errors we are interested
in.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
Cool, that's at least one good news :)

Posted by Remi Forax <fo...@univ-mlv.fr>.