Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Charles Chen <ch...@digilabs.biz> on 2004/07/09 20:14:35 UTC

completePendingCommand() freeze

Hi,

    Our software has the same completePendingCommand() problem that has arisen before on this list, namely: sometimes the completePendingCommands() method hangs.

    I don't see a resolution to this problem mentioned here or elsewhere, and just wondered if anyone else has been having this problem, or has a workaround?

    This problem is very reproducible - it happens about one out of every four transfers.  It only happens on slow connections (ie. dialup, slow ADSL) and never on fast connections 10/100, T1, etc.  It is more likely to occur after transferring a long file (10+ MBs).  The File is always completely received on our end (the server is always our BulletProof Server).

     Other people seemed to have this problem when using StoreFileStream, but not StoreFile.  We are also using storeFileStream, and Util.copyStream.

    Some people (in the messages references below) seem to hang for five minutes and then return an error.  Sometimes we see this; sometimes it seems to hang indefinitely.

    I admire the excellence of the net commons package; however, we will probably use the Enterprisedt library with our next release as I haven't been able to make any progress with this problem.

    The correspondence referenced below seems to indicate that this problem does not occur with StoreFile, as a last resort, I will try always writing files to disk and using StoreFile, though we often transfer large (100, 200MB+) files and this would be an inconvenience.

Here are some references -

http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05708.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05696.html
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?thread=500177&forum=31&message=2363691