Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/14 17:29:13 UTC

Re: Felix Product Plugin and/or Initial Provisioning Service?

John E. Conlon wrote:
> Hi Enrique,
>
> Has anymore work been done on the Felix Product Plugin?

No, none.  After completing some reading on Eclipse this weekend* I've
come to the conclusion that, in order to avoid re-inventing the wheel,
either the product/deployment needs to be standardized by OSGi Alliance
or that we should use what Eclipse has come up with.  We have this need
on Directory to ship various product configurations and the Eclipse
model of composing products from features composed of bundles is exactly
what I want to do.  Albeit, with the awesome service installers that
Alex made.  Anyway, that's my pragmatic choice given that such
infrastructure exists in Eclipse and, this being OSS, I am better off
focusing on infrastructure protocols.  So, unless there is a huge
movement in the M2 community to support OSGi product configurations, let
alone the Felix M2 Plugin, I have totally lost my motivation to code
this plugin.

> After experimenting with the Initial Provisioning Service it seems to me
> that this could be the standard approach for doing this.
>
> Are there any implementations of the Initial Provisioning Service or
> tools for creating the provisioning zip files?
>
> I am looking at writing a M2 plugin for creating the zips unless
> something better is out there.

I know you're working on Provisioning.  That'll need a grant and CLA,
either CCLA or ICLA depending on your work agreement.  That'll be a
great addition to Felix.  Hope to see it soon.

Enrique

* "Eclipse Distilled," "Contributing to Eclipse," and "Eclipse RCP"

Re: Felix Product Plugin and/or Initial Provisioning Service?

Posted by "John E. Conlon" <jc...@verticon.com>.
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 11:29 -0500, Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
> John E. Conlon wrote:
> > Hi Enrique,
> >
> > Has anymore work been done on the Felix Product Plugin?
>
> No, none.  After completing some reading on Eclipse this weekend* I've
> come to the conclusion that, in order to avoid re-inventing the wheel,
> either the product/deployment needs to be standardized by OSGi Alliance
> or that we should use what Eclipse has come up with.
Agree. Plugins based on bundles! But I must confess I asked the question
regarding the product plugin because the idea of composing plugins based
on bundles naturally falls to a third party or shall we say a management
agent of sorts, and the OSGi specs out the way to do this - The Initial
Provisioning Service and I wanted to see how far the Product Plugin
progressed before I started to work on the IP and its IP Zip Plugin.

>  We have this need
> on Directory to ship various product configurations and the Eclipse
> model of composing products from features composed of bundles is exactly
> what I want to do.

Likewise. (You know I am planning to embed directory along with some
Mina servers as well:-)

> Albeit, with the awesome service installers that
> Alex made.

Have been on a M2 site documentation tangent with some of my other
projects and have only read the emails on Alex's activities in this
regard, but it sounds like just the kind of 'beachhead' one needs for
deploying the OSGi as a service. (Especially if one of the bundles it
deploys is IP;-)

> Anyway, that's my pragmatic choice given that such
> infrastructure exists in Eclipse and, this being OSS, I am better off
> focusing on infrastructure protocols.  So, unless there is a huge
> movement in the M2 community to support OSGi product configurations, let
> alone the Felix M2 Plugin, I have totally lost my motivation to code
> this plugin.

Good. We can show them how with ApacheDS.

> > After experimenting with the Initial Provisioning Service it seems to me
> > that this could be the standard approach for doing this.
> >
> > Are there any implementations of the Initial Provisioning Service or
> > tools for creating the provisioning zip files?
> >
> > I am looking at writing a M2 plugin for creating the zips unless
> > something better is out there.
>
> I know you're working on Provisioning.  That'll need a grant and CLA,
> either CCLA or ICLA depending on your work agreement.  That'll be a
> great addition to Felix.  Hope to see it soon.

As mentioned on this list I have been waiting for the refactoring to
settle. Perhaps now is the time to update my felix and see what all has
happened. And yes I know I will need to do the paper work, but I would
first like to have something tested and demonstrable before I go through
the trouble. (Maybe you'll see my contribution is not worth the effort?)

- John