Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/04/14 23:15:50 UTC

Eclipse 3.4/JNLP

Hi all,
I'm running Eclipse 3.3 and it doesn't include a launch configuration for JNLP applications. Does Eclipse 3.4 have such a feature? Without it, debugging applications that use the JNLP APIs seems very difficult.
Thanks,
Greg

Re: Eclipse 3.4/JNLP

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
I realized after sending this that I should have asked if *anyone knows whether or not Eclipse 3.4 has such a feature*. This isn't the Eclipse support mailing list, after all.  :-)

Re: Eclipse 3.4/JNLP

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi to all,
Eclipse has never supported Web Start directly (maybe with some plugin
but i don't remember), for this it has always been better NetBeans.

To create a remote debug session, there are some command to give to
the JVM that run the test application, something like this:

from command line:

set JAVAWS_VM_ARGS=-Xdebug
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=n,suspend=y,address=8200

or from eclipse the same (without the variable declaration), as
additional parameters to the launch configuration.

But to run my test application (without debug) a simpler way is to:
- in project classpath add the jar for Web Start (directly or maybe
with an eclipse variable), pointing to jre/lib/javaws.jar
- put new classes in core and core-test and compile them
- generate jars
- use a local jnlp file that points the new jars
- configure Java to open the console (to see my log, all output in my
test is only to console)
- double click on that jnlp
- et voilĂ , all should work.

If not, please tell me ... i have put a sample jnlp file some time
ago, tell me if you not find it.

Web Start is a complex thing, with many interesting ideas inside but i
agree that is has many thing complex (too much). Starting from Java 6
Update 10 many bugs has been solved (at least on Windows, maybe on
other platforms could be solved before,i don't know), so now it's
really usable and useful in many cases

Sandro

Re: Eclipse 3.4/JNLP

Posted by Christopher Brind <br...@brindy.org.uk>.
Doesn't look like it... see attached image.

I don't know too much about developing with JNLP but are you able to create
a remote debug session?  If so, you should be able to connect from the debug
perspective.  You can add the JNLP APIs to your debug session's class/source
path.

Cheers,
Chris