Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org> on 2023/03/24 14:39:31 UTC

LDAP authentication with Solr 9.1.1 or later

I asked before about Active Directory, and never found any instructions
on how to configure it.

I have info for connecting with LDAP at the site, and I have read that
Solr supports LDAP, but actually can't see any way to configure it.
Everything I can find uses third party software.  The only one I found
that I could actually use involves entirely replacing Solr's BasicAuth
plugin, which I do not want to do.  Also, it only talks about version
7.1.0, so I suspect it won't work with 9.x.

Can I authenticate to LDAP with Solr 9.1.1 (or later, when 9.2.0 comes
out), using only included software?

Nothing that I found even with third-party software indicated how to map
LDAP users to Solr's authorization, so if I can find a solution, it will
need that info.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: LDAP authentication with Solr 9.1.1 or later

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.
I thought there was a way to configure the user/group filter for the users
using Hadoop authentication. It was something
like hadoop.security.group.mapping.ldap - but I haven't looked at it in
years. I can't seem to find a reference right now.

Kevin Risden

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/24/23 20:39, Kevin Risden wrote:
> I personally haven't tried it but I would guess it takes the
> principal/username and you can map it to whatever roles you want using
> "user-role":
>
> https://solr.apache.org/guide/solr/latest/deployment-guide/rule-based-authorization-plugin.html#configuration-syntax

Does the hadoop ldap auth plugin provide a shortened name as described
in ref guide page on authorization?  What is the significance of the
sysPropPrefix setting?  Does it only affect Solr, or does it have
significance for the LDAP server?

I think this means I can't edit the security setup using the admin UI,
which is disappointing but not surprising.

Trying to think up a way to test this.  I only have a Windows VM in the
target environment that I can experiment on.  I don't want to modify the
actual servers until I've worked out the kinks.  Maybe a docker image?

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <el...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.