Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by vikram <vi...@infosys.com> on 2004/04/29 14:49:01 UTC

Incompatibilty between Axis 1.1 and 1.2a

Hello,
        I was hoping that you could help me out with the following issue
Concerning suspected incompatibilities between Java files generated by
WSDL2Java tool of Axis 1.1 and 1.2a.
We had an older client generated by WSDL2Java of Axis 1.1 which produced
the following method signature for a type xsd:boolean :-

public void setCreateDefaultAttributes(java.lang.Boolean
createDefaultAttributes)
{
    this.createDefaultAttributes = createDefaultAttributes;
}

Now we tried to generate the Java files on the same WSDL using
WSDL2Java of 1.2a and this is what it produced:-

public void setCreateDefaultAttributes(boolean createDefaultAttributes)
{
    this.createDefaultAttributes = createDefaultAttributes;
}

We already have a client written with Axis 1.1 and this change would
certainly break that. The same issue is with all other basic types (like
int, long etc).
Can you please suggest an alternative as to how we should address this
situation. Would be highly grateful for a quick response.

Thanks a lot,
Warm regards,
Vikram Roopchand

Programmer Analyst,
Infosys Technologies Ltd,
India.

Re: Incompatibilty between Axis 1.1 and 1.2a

Posted by James Black <jb...@ieee.org>.
vikram wrote:

>Hello,
>        I was hoping that you could help me out with the following issue
>Concerning suspected incompatibilities between Java files generated by
>WSDL2Java tool of Axis 1.1 and 1.2a.
>We had an older client generated by WSDL2Java of Axis 1.1 which produced
>the following method signature for a type xsd:boolean :-
>
>public void setCreateDefaultAttributes(java.lang.Boolean
>createDefaultAttributes)
>{
>    this.createDefaultAttributes = createDefaultAttributes;
>}
>
>Now we tried to generate the Java files on the same WSDL using
>WSDL2Java of 1.2a and this is what it produced:-
>
>public void setCreateDefaultAttributes(boolean createDefaultAttributes)
>{
>    this.createDefaultAttributes = createDefaultAttributes;
>}
>
>We already have a client written with Axis 1.1 and this change would
>certainly break that. The same issue is with all other basic types (like
>int, long etc).
>Can you please suggest an alternative as to how we should address this
>situation. Would be highly grateful for a quick response.

  Make a second webservice that uses the new changes, and over time move
your clients off of the old one onto the new one. It may be a pain, but
that is one solution when you have incompatible versions.

--
"Love is mutual self-giving that ends in self-recovery." Fulton Sheen
James Black    james@usf.edu