Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nick Zitzmann <ni...@chronosnet.com> on 2004/04/16 17:20:20 UTC

Base checksum mismatch?

I'm using Subversion 1.0.1 and Berkeley DB 4.2.x on Mac OS X 10.3.3.
I've searched the archives and could not find a good answer to this
question...

Earlier today, my computer, which is also the Subversion server,
decided to lock up. I had to cycle the power to get things working
again. Now, when I try to commit a file I changed, I get the following
error:

Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Base checksum mismatch on '/Source/MyClass.m':
    expected:  84e88cc11180eab24e291c32e561053b
      actual:  02ada3bf7bfbb4877fc81edf3c979f3d

I already tried, in the following order:
1. Reverting, making changes, and committing again
2. Running "db_recover" in the repository's db directory as root
3. Running "svnadmin recover" on the repository
4. Repeating step 1 after steps 2 and 3

No matter what I do, I keep getting this error... What can I do to fix
this? Thanks in advance...

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>

Re: Base checksum mismatch?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> The repository is owned by root, which is why I had to do all of those
> operations as root.

As an aside: WHY?  There is no [good] reason to have the repository owned by
root, and plenty of reasons why not.  You also didn't answer my question about
your access method.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Base checksum mismatch?

Posted by Nick Zitzmann <ni...@chronosnet.com>.

Re: Base checksum mismatch?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.

Previously you said:

>> I already tried, in the following order:
>> 1. Reverting, making changes, and committing again
>> 2. Running "db_recover" in the repository's db directory as root
>> 3. Running "svnadmin recover" on the repository
>> 4. Repeating step 1 after steps 2 and 3

Did you restore the directory rights and ownership after you ran #2?  In
general, I believe the procedure is that #3 should preceed #2, which will do the
same thing with the appropriate rights and ownership.  It is almost never the
right thing to do anything as root; it is not required as long as the user has
rights to the DB files, and it often leaves behind files owned by root so that
ordinary user access is prevented.

You didn't say what access method you were using: svn://, http://, or file://,
which shouldn't make a difference but would be good to know.  I'm at the limit
of my knowledge, though...

John

Repository corruption (was: Base checksum mismatch?)

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Nick Zitzmann wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2004, at 11:28 AM, John Peacock wrote:
>
>> This is more likely to be a problem in the Working Copy (hence the
>> mention of .svn), rather than on the server.
>>
>> Rename your WC and perform a fresh checkout, then copy back your
>> changed file(s) and commit.
>
> Thanks, but when I try checking out the project now, I get the
> following error after a few files were checked out:
>
> svn: Checksum mismatch on rep 'm3':
>     expected:  286e95fb90c07000ab196485b535daad
>       actual:  9375939f5c9983f627fe18a0d5175023
>
> Before I try restoring the last backup of the repository, is there
> anything else I can do?

This indicates repository corruption.

Restore your last backup.
Run 'svnadmin verify' to ensure it is OK.
"svnadmin dump -r (corruptrev+1):HEAD" may have some success at recovering
some data from the repository, or, if you want to and are able to put the
broken repository on a web/ftp site I'll see if I can extract more data from
it.

Max.

Re: Base checksum mismatch?

Posted by Nick Zitzmann <ni...@chronosnet.com>.

Re: Base checksum mismatch?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Nick Zitzmann wrote:

> Transmitting file data .svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Base checksum mismatch on '/Source/MyClass.m':
>    expected:  84e88cc11180eab24e291c32e561053b
>      actual:  02ada3bf7bfbb4877fc81edf3c979f3d

This is more likely to be a problem in the Working Copy (hence the mention of
.svn), rather than on the server.

Rename your WC and perform a fresh checkout, then copy back your changed file(s)
and commit.

HTH

John