Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/29 09:04:22 UTC

10.3.3 release

Hi all,

The 10.3 branch has accumulated almost 90 fixes, we've had users
asking if we're going to make another release on the 10.3 branch, and
we have a corruption bug that has been fixed that we should be warning
our users about and providing an official release to fix.

While I'm somewhat short on time, I intend to create a 10.3 release as
soon as I can. I am currently cranking a 10.3 release build to see if
I'm missing any details. I'm probably not up to speed on the current
release notes generation process, but I'm hoping this doesn't slow me
down much. I'll post my 'test candidate' as soon as I have it so
others can check it for flaws. After that, I'll post a real 10.3.3
candidate and call for a vote. If anyone wants to help out, feel free
to pitch in testing, checking the release notes or whatever.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, especially
if there are specific fixes that you think ought to go in a new 10.3
release that might not have been merged from the trunk yet. I already
see that Kathey has suggested we wait for another fix she's got ready
for the 10.3 branch. That should be fine, as I'm not sure that I'll
have time to create a real release candidate until the weekend. I'm
shooting to have a release candidate posted this weekend, with voting
going next week and the announcement going out next Friday.

Thanks,
andrew

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:37 AM,  <Dy...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>  Fwiw, my experience from 10.4 is that you need to patch the code to make
>>  it work. I'm working on a cleanup of both tools that I plan to commit to
>>  trunk at some point, but I don't know if it will be ready by the time
>>  you need it...
>
> I didn't seem to have a problem, actually since a search for just bugs
> in release 10.3.2.2 turned out pretty much the list of changes I
> expected to see.

Oh, good :) If works, why fix it? :)

--
dt

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:22 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@sun.com> wrote:

>  What about issues that were reported against 10.3.2.2 and fixed in
>  10.3.2.2? Should we remove them from the list? For instance, DERBY-3560
>  fixed a build failure that was introduced on the 10.3 branch after the
>  previous release. Since this bug never was present in an official
>  release, it's probably not that interesting to the users.

Thanks, Knut, this is good feedback for the release notes and changes.
I'm planning to remove all test and 'regression test failure' issues
from the report, as I don't think this will be particularly
interesting to our users. Issues that don't need to be in the fixed
bug list, like 3560, I'll remove from the JIRA report by hand.

Thanks,
andrew

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.
Perfect, Andrew -- thanks!

Kim

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Kim Haase <Ca...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for doing this, Andrew. I did a spot check of the docs and
they're the right ones (10.3).

Should the copyright files in each doc be updated to say "2004-2008"
instead of 2007?

Kim Haase

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
<Kn...@sun.com> wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  > OK, my 'test candidate' is up at:
>  >
>  > http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/
>
>  Wow, that was quick! :)
>
>  I'm afraid I'm not able to access the files. Perhaps you forgot to make
>  them world readable?

I thought I checked this, but maybe I had no problem accessing them
via the web because it's my account. Chmod'ed the files all public
just to be sure. Note no signatures, version number is wrong, etc. I
was just trying to make sure I didn't miss something generating the
files. The candidate I post a vote for will be a real candidate.

>  The only problem I see with a 72-hour vote, is that the bylaws of the DB
>  PMC[1] require at least 7 days, unless a majority of the PMC members
>  have voted +1 (or -1) before that:
>
>   The minimum and default requirement for a passing vote is simple
>   majority of PMC members casting ballots. The default voting period is
>   10 days and the minimum is 7 days unless the success or failure is
>   arithmetically known.
>
>  [1] http://db.apache.org/management.html

Yes, that is the policy, isn't it. :-)

I have no problem calling for a vote Friday, May 2, or thereabouts,
and ending it and announcing it on the Monday ten days later, May 12
if there are no issues that come up and everyone is ok with the
release. I'm hoping to get consensus earlier rather than later, and to
avoid publishing an announcement near a weekend.

So, I will amend my plan. Last call is still this Friday, build and
vote posted then or on the weekend, with the vote closing Monday, May
12 and announcement shortly thereafter. Please let me know if anyone
feels they need more time.

Thanks,
andrew

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM> writes:

> Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:
>> Then, as mentioned before, last call will be Friday, and I'll build
>> the candidate Friday or this weekend and call for a vote, with voting
>> ending next Wednesday. I'd like to have a 72-hour vote for this since
>> it's a bugfix off the branch, so the announcement can go out mid-week.
>> Please let me know if you think we should give it a full week.
>
> The only problem I see with a 72-hour vote, is that the bylaws of the DB
> PMC[1] require at least 7 days, unless a majority of the PMC members
> have voted +1 (or -1) before that:
>
>   The minimum and default requirement for a passing vote is simple
>   majority of PMC members casting ballots. The default voting period is
>   10 days and the minimum is 7 days unless the success or failure is
>   arithmetically known.
>
> [1] http://db.apache.org/management.html

I would welcome the ability to have a shorter voting period and
genereally a simplified release process in certain circumstances.

In http://www.nabble.com/Testing-tt16333791.html I argued for a
simplified voting process for beta releases to make it easier to
(legally) gather feedback from users, but back then there did not seem
to be much support for it...

--
dt

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:37 AM,  <Dy...@sun.com> wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>  Fwiw, my experience from 10.4 is that you need to patch the code to make
>  it work. I'm working on a cleanup of both tools that I plan to commit to
>  trunk at some point, but I don't know if it will be ready by the time
>  you need it...

I didn't seem to have a problem, actually since a search for just bugs
in release 10.3.2.2 turned out pretty much the list of changes I
expected to see.

>  > I'll post my 'test candidate' as soon as I have it so
>  > others can check it for flaws. After that, I'll post a real 10.3.3
>  > candidate and call for a vote. If anyone wants to help out, feel free
>  > to pitch in testing, checking the release notes or whatever.

OK, my 'test candidate' is up at:

http://people.apache.org/~fuzzylogic/10.3.3.0/

I put the RELEASE-NOTES.html and CHANGES.html in that directory as
well so you don't need to download the whole package to review those
if that's all you want to review. The release notes obviously need
some work, I'll finesse those a bit tomorrow.

Then, as mentioned before, last call will be Friday, and I'll build
the candidate Friday or this weekend and call for a vote, with voting
ending next Wednesday. I'd like to have a 72-hour vote for this since
it's a bugfix off the branch, so the announcement can go out mid-week.
Please let me know if you think we should give it a full week.

Thanks,
andrew

Re: 10.3.3 release

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> The 10.3 branch has accumulated almost 90 fixes, we've had users
> asking if we're going to make another release on the 10.3 branch, and
> we have a corruption bug that has been fixed that we should be warning
> our users about and providing an official release to fix.
>
> While I'm somewhat short on time, I intend to create a 10.3 release as
> soon as I can. I am currently cranking a 10.3 release build to see if
> I'm missing any details. I'm probably not up to speed on the current
> release notes generation process, but I'm hoping this doesn't slow me
> down much.

Fwiw, my experience from 10.4 is that you need to patch the code to make
it work. I'm working on a cleanup of both tools that I plan to commit to
trunk at some point, but I don't know if it will be ready by the time
you need it...

There is a Jira for this, DERBY-3598. There is a preliminary patch there
which I used to create the release notes and changes for 10.4, but I'm
working on implementing Rick's suggestion.

> I'll post my 'test candidate' as soon as I have it so
> others can check it for flaws. After that, I'll post a real 10.3.3
> candidate and call for a vote. If anyone wants to help out, feel free
> to pitch in testing, checking the release notes or whatever.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, especially
> if there are specific fixes that you think ought to go in a new 10.3
> release that might not have been merged from the trunk yet. I already
> see that Kathey has suggested we wait for another fix she's got ready
> for the 10.3 branch. That should be fine, as I'm not sure that I'll
> have time to create a real release candidate until the weekend. I'm
> shooting to have a release candidate posted this weekend, with voting
> going next week and the announcement going out next Friday.

Thanks for offering to do this.

--
dt