Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com> on 2001/01/25 21:43:10 UTC

Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Hi everyone,

A bit frustrating it is to me that so much time has been spent on
Apache 2.0, rearranging, writing, discussing, patching to and fro,
but the basic and most important problems have not been addressed
in quite a while. To me, that code is definitely NOT Beta quality.

On the computer fair "SYSTEMS 2000" last october, we had an apache booth,
and on the machine we had there, I tried to compile apache-2.0a7 on Linux.
No problem, but when I ran it, and did some tests, it failed so miserably
that I decided not to show it to any of the Apache "customers".

Now I spent an evening on re-checking the current status (2 Alpha versions
have been published in the meantime), but the obvious errors I noticed
back then have not changed a bit!

a) fatal protocol errors, leading to the browser hanging and waiting
   forever.
b) extra header output, leading to a garbled "It works" page which shows
   everyone at the first glance that this is ALPHA code.
c) Intolerable behavior when trying to stop or restart the server to
   have it reread its configuration files.

Even though (almost) all discussions on new-httpd circle on the philosophies
behind the next incompatible API change for Apache-2.0, nobody apparently
even noticed these bugs, which I observed on Linux just as well as on FreeBSD
after minutes of using Apache 2.0.
The STATUS file does mumble a bit about mod_negotiation, but does not
list the fatal behavior as a SHOWSTOPPER, which -to me, at least- it is.

   Martin

Here's my observations:

== Result of Apache-2.0b1-dev tests on 25-jan-2001, (platform FreeBSD4.2) ==

* When I access Apache/2.0b1-dev, I see duplicate header lines, like in:
  % echo GET http://apache.mch.fsc.net:8007/ HTTP/1.0\\n | nc localhost 8007
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 19:29:35 GMT
  Server: Apache/2.0b1-dev (Unix)
  Connection: close                    <---------?!??!!

  <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
  <HTML>
   <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Test Page for Apache Installation</TITLE>
   </HEAD>

* Interestingly, this mangled header does NOT appear when mod_negotiation
  is bypassed: retrieving "/index.html.de" works, but "/" does not. So this
  is a problem caused by mod_negotiation.

* When trying to gracefully restart the server, something hangs.
  A subsequent "apachectl stop" says "httpd stopped", yet the monitor process
  keeps respawning client processes. Even a "kill -TERM" does not help.
  The only way to recover is a manual "kill -9".

* The processes do not even react on -HUP, -TERM, -SEGV
  -- what the f§$! is going on?

* When retrieving /manual/mod/core.html (97kB), I notice that the file
  looks truncated.  However, when doing:
  % echo GET http://apache.mch.fsc.net:8007/manual/mod/core.html \
     sed -n '/^</,$p' | tail +2 > tmp.html
  % cmp tmp.html manual/mod/core.html
  tmp.html manual/mod/core.html differ: char 16385, line 438  <--------!!!!

  Astonishing that a difference should occur so close to a 16kB boundary...
  And a diff gives me:

  % diff tmp.html core.html | head -20
  438,452c438,508
  < of that director<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
  < <HTML>
  < <HEAD>
  < <TITLE>Apache Core Features</TITLE>
  < </HEAD>
  <
  < <!-- Background white, links blue (unvisited), navy (visited), red (active) -->
  < <BODY
  <  BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF"
  <  TEXT="#000000"
  <  LINK="#0000FF"
  <  VLINK="#000080"
  <  ALINK="#FF0000"
  < >
  < <!--#include virtual="header.html" -->
  ---
  > of that directory. Any directive which is allowed in a directory
  > context may be used. <EM>Directory</EM> is either the full path to a directory,
  > or a wild-card string. In a wild-card string, `?' matches any single character

  Look at the garbled file, repeating part of the beginning.
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>    |       Fujitsu Siemens
       <ma...@apache.org>              |   81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.
Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net> writes:

> Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com> writes:
>
> > a) fatal protocol errors, leading to the browser hanging and waiting
> >    forever.
>
> tell me what data to send to httpd to reproduce

okay, I'm an idiot... I shouldn't try to read new-httpd and talk on
the phone and send signals to my daughter that she needs to be quiet
for a sec at the same time...  I see now that after "Martin" and a
blank line was documentation; please ignore me for now...

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 04:23:29PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com> writes:
>
> > a) fatal protocol errors, leading to the browser hanging and waiting
> >    forever.
>
> tell me what data to send to httpd to reproduce

Ehmmm. difficult... Maybe a follow-up on a keepalive connection which
got the mangled headers? Then the message body is too long, and the
next reply won't parse.

> > b) extra header output, leading to a garbled "It works" page which shows
> >    everyone at the first glance that this is ALPHA code.
>
> this started in the last 36 hours or so

No, I observed it last october already.

> > c) Intolerable behavior when trying to stop or restart the server to
> >    have it reread its configuration files.
>
> you aren't sending signals to a threaded server which interfere with
> the thread package on Linux, are you?

Only the lethal -KILL at the end. No, I tried to use apachectl for everything,
but the monitor process kept running (and apparently forking new processes).
My load average went from 0.x up to 12.x

> > Even though (almost) all discussions on new-httpd circle on the philosophies
> > behind the next incompatible API change for Apache-2.0, nobody apparently
> > even noticed these bugs, which I observed on Linux just as well as on FreeBSD
> > after minutes of using Apache 2.0.
>
> I guess we need you then :)

Yes, and I am very sad that I could give so little time to the httpd project(s)
lately. Work wouldn't permit.

  Martin

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
> IMHO, the apache group has no right to force somebody to upgrade their
> OS.  There are many vulnerable platforms out there, and we can't take
> responsability for forcing people to get off of them.

    Well, I advocated giving users an incentive to do something
    for their own advantage.  By explicitly supporting systems
    which are known to be a security risk, we deliberately
    encourage users to continue running such systems.

    Anyway, I don't want to drag out this discussion further.

    - Sascha

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Tony Finch wrote:

> James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >A warning would be nice, though - "Warning: Your current kernel is
> >vulnerable to <foo> attacks. For security reasons, you should upgrade to
> >at least kernel version <bar>."
>
> It is not an HTTP daemon's job to track and report security vulnerabilities.

    Of course it is not.  The whole point of the discussion was
    that we are spending time to make Apache work on platforms
    which are known to be vulnerable to all kind of attacks.  And
    that is IMO quite pointless.

    - Sascha

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Tony Finch wrote:

> James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >A warning would be nice, though - "Warning: Your current kernel is
> >vulnerable to <foo> attacks. For security reasons, you should upgrade to
> >at least kernel version <bar>."
>
> It is not an HTTP daemon's job to track and report security vulnerabilities.

No, of course not. However, someone was suggesting forcing those platforms
to be upgraded, just to run Apache. This is certainly not desirable; as
rbb and I pointed out, what about isolated machines for testing purposes,
for example?

I think warning those installing on OLD platforms would be
reasonable. I'm not suggesting building in a vulnerabilities database,
just warning people using glibc 2.0 or whatever that it's not secure.

James.

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at>.
James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>A warning would be nice, though - "Warning: Your current kernel is
>vulnerable to <foo> attacks. For security reasons, you should upgrade to
>at least kernel version <bar>."

It is not an HTTP daemon's job to track and report security vulnerabilities.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
"There are flying saucers. There's no doubt they are

RE: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Jeffrey A. Stuart wrote:

> Why not?  IMHO Apache should set a good example as a net neighbor and
> "force" a base system.  If that means for Linux, a recent kernel and a
> recent version of glibc, so be it!  You are already requiring certain things
> to be on the system... (IE a C compiler, etc)  So go a step further and
> require a relatively secure system...

Where Apache can run on an older system, though, I'd like it to work. Not
everything is a production server: I might well want to put 2.0 on an old
machine I have lying around at home, just for test purposes. I'm not
necessarily bothered about buffer overflows etc. - if it's at home, for
my use only, nobody will even be able to get packets to it!

A warning would be nice, though - "Warning: Your current kernel is
vulnerable to <foo> attacks. For security reasons, you should upgrade to
at least kernel version <bar>." Just don't stop me running tests on old
hardware/software unnecessarily.

Obviously, I don't expect to be able to install on a 386 running Minix,
but as long as the platform has the features needed to run, why not let it
do so?

James.

RE: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
We do not require that a user have anything on their system.  Other than
an Operating System with a TCP stack.  You only need a compiler if you
want to build Apache.

Think of it this way.  What if I am running a web server in a secure
environment (my house, behind a firewall), and it is running on a linux
box with a 2.2.1 kernel, and an old glibc.  I am forced to run that
version, because of some hacks that I have in my kernel that I don't have
time to port to a later version.  Why can't I run Apache 2.0 on that
machine?

The Apache group shouldn't be telling competant people how to do their
jobs IMHO.

Ryan

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Jeffrey A. Stuart wrote:

> Why not?  IMHO Apache should set a good example as a net neighbor and
> "force" a base system.  If that means for Linux, a recent kernel and a
> recent version of glibc, so be it!  You are already requiring certain things
> to be on the system... (IE a C compiler, etc)  So go a step further and
> require a relatively secure system...
>
> --
> Jeff Stuart
> jstuart@neo.rr.com

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

RE: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by "Peter J. Cranstone" <cr...@remotecommunications.com>.
> IMHO, the apache group has no right to force somebody to upgrade their
> OS.  There are many vulnerable platforms out there, and we can't take
> responsibility for forcing people to get off of them.

+1 Ryan you are 100% correct. Apache 2.0 is a fundamental shift in design
from the 1.x series. You have >10 million users out there with almost every
imaginable combination OS/hardware plus a million personal hacks on the
code. They will not change overnight. Testing of Apache 2.0 will consume an
incredible amount of time, probably years, why?, because it's not a simple
upgrade and the world has changed while it's been in development.

Apache 2.0 has grown into a major release and needs to be coordinated
carefully. You must (IMHO) manage the expectation level and not cause
"whiplash" to the installed base. I think Roy was right in his recent emails
regarding release stats. I would add one more thing. You must (again my
opinion) release on a system which you have tested personally. By that I
mean you show everyone *your* config and your *OS* etc.

Apache 2.0 will be big, eventually, but it has many miles to go before that
happens. Little steps will turn into big ones, but only if you manage the
expectation level.

... Peter

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
> Since (I believe) we were on a 2.2 kernel at the time, and an
> up-to-date glibc (for that time), I would prefer if Apache
> didn't just assume that everybody has upgraded.

    If they did not upgrade, they are subject to many remote
    attacks.  Those attacks can at least crash the whole system,
    possibly allowing the attacker to take over the system.  I
    think we should encourage people to use more recent software,
    instead of continuing to support dangerous releases.  If
    Apache 2.0 is installed on such a system and that system is
    broken into, it might as well generate bad PR for Apache
    (this happened recently to thttpd where compatibility was
    rated higher than security).

    - Sascha

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > > c) Intolerable behavior when trying to stop or restart the server to
> > >    have it reread its configuration files.
> >
> > you aren't sending signals to a threaded server which interfere with
> > the thread package on Linux, are you?
>
>     Just to clear up some confusion:  There are no standard
>     signals which interfere with the Linuxthreads package, if you
>     are running a kernel which was released during the last two
>     years (that is Linux 2.2 and later) and if you are using a C
>     library released during the last three years.

In February of 99, this bug bit us, so we made the change.  Since (I
believe) we were on a 2.2 kernel at the time, and an up-to-date glibc (for
that time), I would prefer if Apache didn't just assume that everybody has
upgraded.

Also, there are other platforms that dislike mixing threads and signals.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
> b) extra header output, leading to a garbled "It works" page which shows
>    everyone at the first glance that this is ALPHA code.

I reported this bug this morning which reignited the API discussion. Jeff has
posted a patch for this.

Bill

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu.siemens.es>.
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > > Some of the bugs may be the platform you are on, especially if you are
> > > using threads.  That doesn't mean FreeBSD doesn't support Apache 2.0, but
> > > FreeBSD has some known problems with threads and some functions, so we are
> > > trying our best to work around those problems, and many of these problems
> > > may go away if you use the prefork MPM.
> >
> > Thanks -- will try!
>
> The big thing I am thinking of, is the truncated file.  This is a known
> problem when using sendfile with some versions of FreeBSD.  I thought we
> had tracked them all down, but this may be another version that needs to
> be hacked into configure.in.  :-)

The page I got on LINUX is also corrupted - As I use 2.4.0 and some old
libc. It could be a similar problem, I will try with other Kernels to
check this.

Posted by Martin Kraemer <Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>.
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 10:04:58PM +0100, rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> Thank you for the
> reports.  If you have the time to get more information, please do so.

Sorry, I noticed too late that the mod_negotiation bug already appeared
on the list.

> At
> the very least, can we get the configuration you used?

Plain vanilla. "configure --prefix=/somewhere", make, make install.
Only changed the port# and prepared for activating modules later:
diff httpd-std.conf httpd.conf
209c209
< Port 80
---
> Port 8007
231c231
< ServerAdmin you@your.address
---
> ServerAdmin WebMaster+Apache2.0@deejai.mch.fsc.net
306c306
< UserDir public_html
---
> UserDir WWW
312,323c312,323
< #<Directory /home/*/public_html>
< #    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
< #</Directory>
---
> <Directory /home/*/WWW>
>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
> </Directory>
467c467
< ServerSignature On
---
> ServerSignature EMail
755,756c755,756
< #AddType text/html .shtml
< #AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
---
> AddType text/html .shtml
> AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
843,844c843,844
< #<Location /server-status>
< #    SetHandler server-status
---
> <Location /server-status>
>     SetHandler server-status
848c848
< #</Location>
---
> </Location>
855,856c855,856
< #<Location /server-info>
< #    SetHandler server-info
---
> <Location /server-info>
>     SetHandler server-info
860c860
< #</Location>
---
> </Location>

> Some of the bugs may be the platform you are on, especially if you are
> using threads.  That doesn't mean FreeBSD doesn't support Apache 2.0, but
> FreeBSD has some known problems with threads and some functions, so we are
> trying our best to work around those problems, and many of these problems
> may go away if you use the prefork MPM.

Thanks -- will try!

  Martin
--
<Ma...@Fujitsu-Siemens.com>    |       Fujitsu Siemens
       <ma...@apache.org>              |   81730  Munich,  Germany

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> * When trying to gracefully restart the server, something hangs.
>   A subsequent "apachectl stop" says "httpd stopped", yet the monitor process
>   keeps respawning client processes. Even a "kill -TERM" does not help.
>   The only way to recover is a manual "kill -9".

I have not seen this, but will investigate it.

> * The processes do not even react on -HUP, -TERM, -SEGV
>   -- what the f�$! is going on?

This is by design.  On some OS's, linux mainly, threads and signals do not
play nicely.  This means that rather than even try to deal with most
signals, we use a pipe to communicate between the parent and the child
process.

Martin, please understand that we are working at finding and fixing many
of these bugs.  Some of these have been reported before, some are new
since yesterday, and some have never been seen before.  Thank you for the
reports.  If you have the time to get more information, please do so.  At

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 09:52:41PM +0000, James Sutherland wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > >
> > > Right now, 2.0 doesn't look ready for an alpha, let alone a beta. Is
> > > anyone looking at the broken header problem yet???
> >
> > Not only are we looking at it, but we have a potential solution, and we
> > are discussing long term fixes.
>
> OK - sorry to be so blunt, but I posted a transcript showing that problem
> some time ago, and nobody even mentioned it in their replies!

Because there is only so much that we can do, and only so much that we can
keep track of. If you posted it, then I either didn't see it or I've
forgotten about it.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Flame bait: Apache-2.0 on Unix is almost unusable.

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.

Posted by James Sutherland <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
Correction to subject: As of last night, CVS httpd-2.0 is unbuildable,
never mind unusable :-)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Martin Kraemer wrote:

> A bit frustrating it is to me that so much time has been spent on
> Apache 2.0, rearranging, writing, discussing, patching to and fro,
> but the basic and most important problems have not been addressed
> in quite a while. To me, that code is definitely NOT Beta quality.

Agreed.

(snip)
> a) fatal protocol errors, leading to the browser hanging and waiting
>    forever.
> b) extra header output, leading to a garbled "It works" page which shows
>    everyone at the first glance that this is ALPHA code.

Alpha code? From the output, it sometimes looks like Alpha code running on
x86! :-)

(snip report about duplicated headers, which I've also mentioned before)

Yep; I've seen two (DIFFERENT) headers at once, too; one 200 OK, followed
by the whole set of headers, then another 200 OK, and SOME of those
headers again - WTF?!

(snip)