Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by John V <jr...@outlook.com> on 2017/04/18 13:53:14 UTC

Log4net website issue

Please forward this if you are not the appropriate recipient.

I was browsing the documentation on the Log4Net website for a list of all of the formatting flags for the PatternLayout, but could not find one.  I did discover some dead links on the manual's introduction page at http://logging.apache.org/log4net/release/manual/introduction.html

Under the Layouts heading none of the links seem to be valid.

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
On 2017-04-19 10:13, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On 2017-04-19, Dominik Psenner wrote:
>
>>  From a higher perspective I would also like to see all logging
>> subprojects to have one website style. Looking at the website of
>> log4net and log4j those projects appear to be unrelated, whereas the
>> log4cxx and log4j websites are more alike. Any ideas how we could
>> achieve this?
> As log4net uses maven to build the site as well, this could probably
> solved by using the same skin (I've never tried to fiddle with that,
> though).
>
> Stefan
I'd love to see this but at the same time I have no idea what glues the
site.vm, site.xml and the xdoc/**.xml files together. Stefan, do you
have some insights to share?

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Hallo Thorsten

On 2017-04-19, Thorsten Schöning wrote:

> am Mittwoch, 19. April 2017 um 10:13 schrieben Sie:

>> As log4net uses maven to build the site as well, this could probably
>> solved by using the same skin (I've never tried to fiddle with that,
>> though).

> As log4cxx has done the same by simply copying over templates and
> skins from log4j recently, maybe someone finds the following commits
> helpful:

Yes, this is probably an approach we can take as well. I'll try to carve
out some time to copy over the skin related stuff from log4j later this
week.

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Stefan Bodewig,
am Mittwoch, 19. April 2017 um 10:13 schrieben Sie:

> As log4net uses maven to build the site as well, this could probably
> solved by using the same skin (I've never tried to fiddle with that,
> though).

As log4cxx has done the same by simply copying over templates and
skins from log4j recently, maybe someone finds the following commits
helpful:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4cxx.git;a=commit;h=ba65e20b248403e13a5bad86a7a5e6426b0a62c7
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4cxx.git;a=commit;h=dc94dd12aa68a5a68d8b8fbf2a6b0779c1088a48
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=logging-log4cxx.git;a=commit;h=42cf2b8a88758c7e7c365ee1b8f769d4db60c043

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
I like the idea to generate parts of the website with stuff that comes
from the source code. However I can't see how the different sources
could all be assembled together. The sdk reference is already generated
from source, however that is already one step to far because we won't
get the styles right. So what we could do is to let the compiler
generate the XML documentation by using either the /doc or the /doc+
option. That XML could then further be transformed into website parts.

 From a higher perspective I would also like to see all logging

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2017-04-19, Dominik Psenner wrote:

> I completely purged that mess from my memory. We need a solution that
> just works and links to generated code are not "the solution"©. :-)
> When I build log4net I get the following files:

> * log4net.dll
> * log4net.pdb
> * log4net.xml

> The latter is a parseable output of all the classes, methods,
> properties, .. along with the fancy source documentation (authors,
> remarks, ..). Is it possible to do a little XPATH and XSLT kung-fu to
> get this (and/or pieces from it) into a "site.xml"-ish format that
> could later be consumed by the maven site plugin?

This is most certainly doable, but it sounds like quite a bit of work.

Stefan

Re: Antwort: [Newsletter] Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
> Regarding the consistency with other log4<X> projects, I as a .NET
> developer and log4net user, consider consistency with other .NET
> documentation (aka MSDN-Style) much more important then with let's say
> log4j.

I don't think either that we should re-style the SDK reference. The
issue we try to solve here is that we currently have to place deep links
into the generated MSDN-Style SDK reference sites and we regularly break
those links from one release to the next. Options we have so far are:

  1) link to the SDK reference index page
  2) write parts of the documentation in the site
  3) generate parts of the website from the source code documentation

While (1) is trivial, users have to read the SDK reference to know all
the available configuration options. It is fine by me, but the starter
of this topic was unable to do so and therefore we should try to make
this better. (2) is trivial too, but we have to synchronize the SDK
documentation with the website which means more effort over the years.
(3) is not trivial, sophisticated and much more initial work, but gives
the same result as (2) without the need to duplicate the effort of
maintenance.

We already have the MAML and we try to find a way to "Create the
conceptual content" as mentioned at [1]. For now this is an completely
abstract task to me but [2] should give more insights. Hints, ideas,
help and patches welcome! :-)

Cheers,
Dominik

[1] http://ewsoftware.github.io/MAMLGuide/html/303c996a-2911-4c08-b492-6496c82b3edb.htm
[2] http://ewsoftware.github.io/MAMLGuide/html/86752a38-eba3-4174-bcbf-79ec8428ecf9.htm

Antwort: [Newsletter] Re: Log4net website issue

Posted by Jo...@rohde-schwarz.com.
Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com> wrote on 19.04.2017 10:40:17:

> I completely purged that mess from my memory. We need a solution that
> just works and links to generated code are not "the solution"©. :-) When

> I build log4net I get the following files:
>
> * log4net.dll
> * log4net.pdb
> * log4net.xml
>
> The latter is a parseable output of all the classes, methods,
> properties, .. along with the fancy source documentation (authors,
> remarks, ..). Is it possible to do a little XPATH and XSLT kung-fu to
> get this (and/or pieces from it) into a "site.xml"-ish format that could

> later be consumed by the maven site plugin?

This sounds like the job for a (new?) Presentation Style for the
Sandcastle Helpfile Builder [1]. I assume that staring from scratch will
be a lot harder...
As an alternative, there is already a Markdown help file format available
[2], maybe this can serve as the input for some pandoc pipe line.

The non-API parts of the documentation can also be handled by SHFB, using
"Conceptual Documentation" [3] with verified links into/from the API/SDK
parts.

[1]: https://github.com/EWSoftware/SHFB
[2]:
http://ewsoftware.github.io/SHFB/html/6f0a80ec-b8ef-45d6-a55a-1fb7a6545ddc.htm
[3]:
http://ewsoftware.github.io/MAMLGuide/html/303c996a-2911-4c08-b492-6496c82b3edb.htm

Regarding the consistency with other log4<X> projects, I as a .NET
developer and log4net user, consider consistency with other .NET
documentation (aka MSDN-Style) much more important then with let's say
log4j.

Regards,
Jonas

Re: Log4net website issue