Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Christopher Randall <cr...@tivre.com> on 2002/04/29 23:22:29 UTC

Newbie question

Hello all. Sorry if this is directed in the wrong location, I wasn't able to find any FAQ or an avalon-info mailing list, so I am posting my question here:

Where can I find a good example of the framework in action? I have tried looking at the test given in the Phoenix product, but can't get it working on my Windows 2000 machine.

Is there another place I can look at see some usage of the Avalon Framework product?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Newbie question

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:42, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> There are several public projects which use Avalon.
>
> Apache JAMES (http://jakarta.apache.org/james)
> Apache Cocoon (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon)
> Apache FOP (http://xml.apache.org/fop)
> Jesktop (http://www.jesktop.org)

And the ant2 proposal at

http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/myrmidon

:)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Newbie question

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Christopher Randall wrote:
> Hello all. Sorry if this is directed in the wrong location, I wasn't able to find any FAQ or an avalon-info mailing list, so I am posting my question here:
>
> Where can I find a good example of the framework in action? I have tried looking at the test given in the Phoenix product, but can't get it working on my Windows 2000 machine.
>
> Is there another place I can look at see some usage of the Avalon Framework product?

There are several public projects which use Avalon.

Apache JAMES (http://jakarta.apache.org/james)
Apache Cocoon (http://xml.apache.org/cocoon)
Apache FOP (http://xml.apache.org/fop)
Jesktop (http://www.jesktop.org)

There are other projects which use a portion of Avalon technologies:

Apache Axis (http://xml.apache.org/axis) Uses the command line interface
                                          from Avalon Excalibur

Apache JMeter (http://jakarta.apache.org)
     This is beginning to refactor using Apache Avalon.  The
     configuration object is used to load and save configurations
     without someone accidently breaking it.  The main developer
     for JMeter is getting more and more into it....

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Newbie question

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Monday 29 April 2002 05:22 pm, Christopher Randall wrote:
> Hello all. Sorry if this is directed in the wrong location, I wasn't able
> to find any FAQ or an avalon-info mailing list, so I am posting my question
> here:
>
> Where can I find a good example of the framework in action? I have tried
> looking at the test given in the Phoenix product, but can't get it working
> on my Windows 2000 machine.
>
> Is there another place I can look at see some usage of the Avalon Framework
> product?

Check out the Apache Cocoon project, http://xml.apache.org/cocoon

That's what introduced me to Avalon.
-pete