Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> on 2014/04/04 03:20:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache ODF Release situation

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'll upgrade my vote to +1 (binding)
>
> That gives us two +1's from the IPMC.  Need one more to release.
>
> I realize many are busy (including me) finishing up ApacheCon slides.
> But if someone else can take a look I'd appreciate it greatly.

The release vote situation has now also been mentioned in this month's report,
under "Issues for the Board/IPMC".

    aware of?

      We've been struggling to get 3 +1 IPMC votes for our latest release
      candidate.  We're stuck at two +1 votes.

      We issued a "call for volunteers" to our users list and got a good
      response: http://s.apache.org/4Vx

      Of course, it will be easier to grow the community if we can reliably
      conduct a release vote.

The "2013 Alternative Release Voting Process" was drawn up for scenarios like
this one, allowing podlings to seize control of their destiny rather than
being locked in to waiting on IPMC members.

    http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html
    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

In my estimation, the ODF Toolkit podling has sufficient expertise to
participate.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache ODF Release situation

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> One question on interpreting this alternative process.  It says, "For
> all releases after the first, votes cast by members of the PPMC are
> binding if a Mentor approves the Release Manifest."
>
> Do we mean all releases after the first using the alternative process
> specifically?  Or after the first release, even if that release was
> using the mainline podling release procedure?
>
> (We've already had two podling releases via the normal procedure.)

The intent is to have the first release inspected by three IPMC members.
That's happened.  +1 to use the alternative process for this release.

There has to be a IPMC vote first approving ODF Toolkit's participation in the
alternative process.  I suggest that you call that vote soon, today if you
like.  If anybody objects (which I doubt) we can launch a discussion thread
at such time.

    This VOTE is to permit the Apache ODF Toolkit podling to participate in
    the "2013 Alternate Release Voting Process".

    [ ] +1 Permit participation.
    [ ] -1 Do not permit participation because...

FWIW, I don't see any reason why the new podling vote incorporating the
checklist procedure could not proceed in parallel, starting before the IPMC
permission vote closes, if that is convenient for the PPMC.

> We (the PPMC) have already discussed proposing me as an additional
> Mentor for the Podling, now that I'm on IPMC.  That could help enable
> us using the "Alternative Release Voting Process".

Sounds good to me.  I know that you as an individual have ample licensing
expertise.  Perhaps other PPMC members do as well already; but in any case,
the checklist exercise presents an opportunity to spread that knowledge
around to all who take part.  I hope that it proves useful.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM, Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll upgrade my vote to +1 (binding)
>>
>> That gives us two +1's from the IPMC.  Need one more to release.
>>
>> I realize many are busy (including me) finishing up ApacheCon slides.
>> But if someone else can take a look I'd appreciate it greatly.
>
> The release vote situation has now also been mentioned in this month's report,
> under "Issues for the Board/IPMC".
>
>     Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be
>     aware of?
>
>       We've been struggling to get 3 +1 IPMC votes for our latest release
>       candidate.  We're stuck at two +1 votes.
>
>     How has the community developed since the last report?
>
>       We issued a "call for volunteers" to our users list and got a good
>       response: http://s.apache.org/4Vx
>
>       Of course, it will be easier to grow the community if we can reliably
>       conduct a release vote.
>
> The "2013 Alternative Release Voting Process" was drawn up for scenarios like
> this one, allowing podlings to seize control of their destiny rather than
> being locked in to waiting on IPMC members.
>
>     http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html
>     http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

Thanks.  This looks like a good fit.

One question on interpreting this alternative process.  It says, "For
all releases after the first, votes cast by members of the PPMC are
binding if a Mentor approves the Release Manifest."

Do we mean all releases after the first using the alternative process
specifically?  Or after the first release, even if that release was
using the mainline podling release procedure?

(We've already had two podling releases via the normal procedure.)

We (the PPMC) have already discussed proposing me as an additional
Mentor for the Podling, now that I'm on IPMC.  That could help enable
us using the "Alternative Release Voting Process".

Regards,

-Rob