Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gianluca <gm...@sivaspa.com> on 2000/11/29 17:14:17 UTC

temporary page

how can i send to the browser a temporary html page from servlet invoked with post method while it is woking ?
i want that only after my servlet has finished it will response with a sendRedirect method to the client.

Is it possible that ?

Thanks.

Re: temporary page

Posted by "Vik P. Solem" <vs...@viktech.com>.
If you only need to support Netscape then you can use
multi-part/x-mixed-replace .  It looks to me like t's not supported by
IE5.0, but I don't know if later versions will support it.

(Also, replacing "x-mixed-replace" with "mixed" may work for you.)

... the nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose
from. ;-)

-Vik

Here's a sample file.

#!/bin/sh

echo "Content-type:
multipart/x-mixed-replace;boundary=MyFavoriteBoundaryString"
echo ""
cat <<EOF
--MyFavoriteBoundaryString

<title>Working...</title>
<h2>Please Wait.</h2>
We are computing that answer.

--MyFavoriteBoundaryString
EOF
sleep 5
cat <<EOF
--MyFavoriteBoundaryString

<title>Finished</title>
<h2>The answer is 42.</h2>
Now what was the question again?

--
Vik P. Solem    vsolem@viktech.com    781-344-1133
VikTech Systems Inc.   Built right, now.

RE: temporary page

Posted by CPC Livelink Admin <cp...@fitzpatrick.cc>.
Put your processing in a background thread.  Put a META Refresh tag in your
HTML to refresh a monitoring servlet priodically. If the processing is not
done, the monitoring servlet returns the same refresh tag, else it
forwards/redirects to the real data you want to show.

Or you could load an applet and use it to maintain contact with the servlet
(I know it can be done, but I don't have the details.)

Regards,
Paul