Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Matthieu Baechler <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/06/29 13:49:00 UTC

Gitbox migration proposal

Hi,

I would like to propose to James community the migration of our code
repositories from git-wip (read/write git at apache and read-only
mirror on GitHub) to gitbox.

As far as I understand, migration to gitbox allows merging pull
requests directly into GitHub.

The current state of my team's workflow is :

1. submit PR on Linagora's fork to benefits from CI feedback directly
into GitHub
2. feedback and changes are also handled on this repository without any
visibility from the community
3. when everything is ok, we merge it by hand into git-wip and we
update Linagora's fork to follow git-wip status
4. we need to close PR by hand in GitHub
5. we also close related JIRA issue

When a contributor opens a PR on apache GitHub repository, it's even
worse :

1. feedback and changes happen on apache GitHub
2. at one point we duplicate the PR on Linagora's fork to get CI
feedback
3. we sometimes need to do changes to the code in this duplicated PR to
make CI happy
4. we then do the manual merge as usual
5. we close everything by hand (two PRs and JIRA issue)

I looked at Kafka project and it looks like they have the whole GitHub
workflow in place : PR, review, CI feedback and merge.

That would really be a good step to make contribution easier and more
transparent to the community.

I propose the following vote process to decide about that migration :

 - Welcome feed-backs for one week (until 06/07/2018 6 pm UTC+2)
 - Then I will call for vote of the final result (from 06/07/2018 to
13/07/2018 6 pm UTC+2)
 - When approved, I will complete the gitbox form to ask for migration

Gitbox reference documentation for users is here : https://reference.ap
ache.org/committer/git

Cheers,

--