Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bruce Perryman <bp...@yahoo.com> on 2005/04/25 20:31:48 UTC

Tomcat 5 and SSL Configuration

Hello,

I'm using TC 5.0.19 and j2sdk1.4.2_04 on RedHat 9.

My SSL certificate expired and I received a new one
but haven't been able to get the new one to work.

Here are the steps that I used to get the certificate
and import it into my keystore:

[1] keytool -genkey -alias tomcat
     -keyalg RSA -keystore .keystore
[2] keytool -certreq -alias tomcat
     -keystore .keystore -file tomcat.csr
[3] Submit tomcat.csr to Entrust and then
     retrieve entrust_ssl_ca.cer  (We used
     cut and paste, not file download.)
[4] shut down Tomcat
[5] keytool -delete -alias tomcat
      -keystore .keystore
[6] keytool import -trustcacerts
     -alias tomcat -file entrust_ssl_ca.cer
     -keystore .keystore
[7] restart tomcat
Instead of [6], we also tried:
[6a] keytool import -alias tomcat
      -file entrust_ssl_ca.cer -keystore .keystore

When I restart Tomcat and view my page, I get the
message that the page cannot be displayed.

In my catalina.out file, I see the following severe
error msg:

Endpoint [SSL: ServerSocket[addr=     ]] ignored
exception: java.net.SocketException: SSL handshake
errorjavax.net.ssl.SSLException: No available
certificate corresponds to the SSL cipher suites which
are enabled.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I don't have
the exact steps that I performed with my previous
certificate, but the above steps are what I used for
the newly issued certificate.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Re: Tomcat 5 and SSL Configuration

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Bruce,

You should not have done step 5. This deleted your private key. I hope
you have a backup ;)

Mark