Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Abdul Patel <ab...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/11 17:07:10 UTC

Log4j vulnerability

Hi all,

Any idea if any of open source Cassandra versions are impacted with log4j
vulnerability which was reported on dec 9th

Re: Log4j vulnerability

Posted by Anthony Grasso <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arvinder,

You are correct; tlp-stress includes Log4j as one of its libraries and
users will need to update the JAR file.

On 16th December 2021, tlp-stress was updated [1] to include Log4j 2.16.0
which fixed CVE-2021-45046. Version 5.0.0 was released which included this
change.

Unfortunately, further security issues were identified in Log4j v2.16.0. On
10th January 2022, tlp-stress was updated again
<https://github.com/thelastpickle/tlp-stress/commit/2d4542c27d3f1c0e24899c01247b9a8ee3c9a238>
[2] to include Log4j 2.17.1 which fixed CVE-2021-45105 and CVE-2021-44832
[2]. A new version of tlp-stress will be released soon which will include
these updates.

For now please build and use the latest version of the master branch to get
the latest patch.

Kind regards,
Anthony

[1]
https://github.com/thelastpickle/tlp-stress/commit/298135e2bfc6d4d23f04154f098c3592dd3b32f0
[2]
https://github.com/thelastpickle/tlp-stress/commit/2d4542c27d3f1c0e24899c01247b9a8ee3c9a238

Re: Log4j vulnerability

Posted by Arvinder Dhillon <dh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Log4j vulnerability

Posted by Bowen Song <bo...@bso.ng>.

Re: Log4j vulnerability

Posted by Rahul Reddy <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: Log4j vulnerability

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
Hi users,

I just add to it that there was recently added a dependency check ant
target (by myself) to scan the deps on CVE's. People can execute that
themselves by "ant dependency-check" and it will scan the database of
vulnerabilities automatically against Cassandra libraries we ship.

Regards

Re: Log4j vulnerability

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Log4j vulnerability

Posted by James Brown <jb...@easypost.com>.
As far as I can tell, cassandra uses logback, not log4j2, so it shouldn't
be affected. The logback website <http://logback.qos.ch/>, in fact, now has
some quite snarky language differentiating it from log4j2.

--
James Brown
Engineer