Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Biestro <hb...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/28 08:51:57 UTC

[CANCELLED][VOTE] Release JEXL 2.1 based on RC1

Gary and Sebb pointed out that, per apache release rules, incompatible binaries require new package name (i.e. jexl3).
My bad, sorry.
Henrib

Re: [CANCELLED][VOTE] Release JEXL 2.1 based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 November 2011 13:51, henrib <he...@apache.org> wrote:
> One might argue that JEXL does not have that many users so jar hell is very
> (very) unlikely - no Apache project depends on jexl2 afaik - and that
> forcing "up to date/snapshot" users to switch to a new package when they're
> already used to recompile against the latest JEXL version is adding burden
> on their side (i.e. replace all o.a.c.jexl2 imports with o.a.c.jexl3, update
> maven dependencies, etc.) with no practical benefit.

Yes, JEXL is more of an edge case than say NET or Lang or Logging.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 November 2011 12:03, James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> I don't think that is either an apache thing or a rule.  It's more of a
> commons best practice.  It's one we strongly suggest for good reason,
> though.

Yes, because commons components are generally low-level libraries
which can be part of a dependency chain.

> Make sure the maven artifactId (and probably groupId too) changes
> correspondingly.  This will allow older versions to coexist with new ones.

Package name changes must be accompanied by Maven id changes and
vice-versa to avoid jar-hell
This is because Maven relocation does not work with Maven Central.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I don't think that is either an apache thing or a rule.  It's more of a
commons best practice.  It's one we strongly suggest for good reason,
though.  Make sure the maven artifactId (and probably groupId too) changes