Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2018/05/31 10:00:06 UTC

[Git migration] Developer process

Hi,

The next issue to resolve for the Git migration is developer process.

Note that this does not cover branch names, merge strategy etc. This is
issue is about the options available for developers to organise their
local development environment. The key question is how to efficiently
switch between trunk, 8.5.x and 7.0.x.

To some extent this will be personal preference. However, it would be
useful to have some recommendations to give folks a starting point.

Options discussed previously include:
- multiple clones
- git worktree

We may want to consider documenting something and/or linking to some
existing guides.

Mark

Re: [Git migration] Developer process

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 31/05/18 19:16, Igal Sapir wrote:
> On 5/31/2018 3:00 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The next issue to resolve for the Git migration is developer process.
>>
>> Note that this does not cover branch names, merge strategy etc. This is
>> issue is about the options available for developers to organise their
>> local development environment. The key question is how to efficiently
>> switch between trunk, 8.5.x and 7.0.x.
>>
>> To some extent this will be personal preference. However, it would be
>> useful to have some recommendations to give folks a starting point.
>>
>> Options discussed previously include:
>> - multiple clones
>> - git worktree
> According to this blog post [1] Git Worktrees are a better solution.  It
> looks like Worktrees were added in order to address the shortfalls of
> maintaining multiple clones.
>
> There is a warning, however, about using Worktrees on repos that contain
> submodules [2], and I don't know if that applies to the Tomcat repos or
> not, so that's something to look out for.

It has been a while. I'm going to add these two links to the migration
notes on the wiki. Googling "git worktree" returns a bunch of other
posts as well.

Onwards with the migration...

Mark

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.